Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

European vs American manual transmitions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European vs American manual transmitions.

I recently got into a debate with someone I reguard as a complete ********. The topic of the debate was European vs American transmissions and the ******** in question claimed that all European manual transmissions went into reverse the German style, that is you press down and then move the stick all the way left and then up. My contention was that the ******** was a ******** and that he had no idea what he was talking about.

To make my point I said: that every British designed car I had ever seen had used the same manual transmission design of every American car I had seen. That is the reverse gear was all the way to the right and then down. I pointed out the Rootes Group built Sunbeam Alpine my father used to own and which I had learned to drive on had such a transmission, I pointed out that my best friend in high school drove a Rover 3500 (in Europe called a Rover SD-1) which also had an American style transmission, I pointed out that when I was 18 I had a coworker with a Saab 900 (1970's edition) which used the American style all the way to the right and then down for reverse set up.

Of course, he claimed those were not really European cars and that real European cars used German manual transmission layouts. Now you see why I call this person a ********. OK, if British designed and built cars are not "European" enough and Swedish built and designed cars are not "European" enough then what is? Certainly, German cars use the backwards push down and then move left and up setting for reverse but who else does? My acquaintance said his mother's 2003 Saad used such a set up but I pointed out that by that time Saad was owned by Opel and used backwards German layouts. Volvo used the American layout since it was owned by Ford but he took that as proof Volvo's were not real European cars.

Certainly all Japanese cars use the same transmission layout as American cars but I don't know about Italian or French cars. I do know my grandfather's Peugot 504 had a column mounted manual transmission but to this day it's operation remains a mystery to me. Can someone tell me if Italian or French cars' had transmission like american or German cars or something entirely different?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I only read the first paragraph. I declare you both *********.

Thread closed.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The conversation the six year old me had with my grandfather in 1982:

Me: Grandfather, you are a Scotsman!

Grandpapa: I am indeed.

Me: But if you are Scottish why do you drive a Peugot, that's a French car?

Grandpa: I like it.

Me: But shouldn't a real British person drive a British car?

Grandpa: Maybe, but they're rubbish.

Me: What do you mean?

Grandpa: There used to be great British cars but the recent ones have all been screwed up by incompetent management and an incompetent company.

Me: My dad drive's a British car.

Grandpa: But not for a daily driver. He drives a Honda and the MGB is just for fun while the Honda is for whenever the MGB breaks down. British cars break down a lot.

Me: ...

Comment

Just wiki it foo'

APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          I only read the first paragraph. I declare you both *********.

Thread closed.
          Dumb ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection View Post
            I honestly had no idea there even was a wiki.

Comment

I would honestly like someone to comment on French or Italian cars which Asher is not experienced enough nor intelligent enough to comment on.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                I would honestly like someone to comment on French or Italian cars which Asher is not experienced enough nor intelligent enough to comment on.
                Begin comment; French cars are made in France and Italian cars are made in Italy. End comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                  I thought they were universal right and down. Someone has always got to be different.

Comment

Funny, in my Ford it is left and up.
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

My automatic is R.

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                        Begin comment; French cars are made in France and Italian cars are made in Italy. End comment.
                        I just don't feel qualified to commit, I listened to my (rather drunk) father speak (he is Scottish so it is expected) about how to one drove my grandfather's Peugot 504 which had a bizarre column mounted shifter. He told me something about pulling the shifter towards you, and pulling it down, and pushing it up, but, honestly I had no idea what he was talking about. I know it was vaguely in reference to a person sitting in the driver's seat but how it related to an American shifter or a German shifter I have no idea. It is well and truly a mystery.

Comment

One thing that i would find odd is using your left arm instead of the right here in America to shift the gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                            My automatic is R.
                            For whaterver reason I don't like automatic gear shifts. Feels like I have less control when slowing down.
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                              Funny, in my Ford it is left and up.
                              That's because you have a ***** ass **** sucking German Ford. That doesn't change the fact that non loser, non German cars have the correct configuration while German built cars have the construction no one with a brain wants.

Comment

Working...
                              X