No announcement yet.

Recommend Provost a New Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm also in the process of getting a laptop, but my budget is not quite yours
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Can anyone tell me if Civ5 can be played well on a laptop with a price tag below 1200 Dollar? If so, what laptop would you recommend?

Comment

Who gives a crap, Civ5 was a power hungry disaster.

Which reminds me, I still need to buy that laptop, although not for another month now.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Anything with an Intel 2630QM CPU/GPU. (this is the cheapest current generation quad core/8 threads CPU with an integrated GPU)

Something with similar specs would have a very nice price/performance ratio: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...2-5060880.html

If you're not going to use it for gaming you don't need a dedicated graphics card.

You might want to consider getting an SSD drive too.
          Last edited by Sir Og; March 6, 2011, 04:13.
          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Is the solid state worth the price? Does it bring any advantages compared to the ordinary one? Is it as fast?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Depends on your usage model. People who have made the move to SSD claim that they are not going back to a regular HDD.

SSD is quite a bit faster. It is more rugged (no moving parts). Since it is fairly new tech there might be some reliability issues. Especially if you go with something unproven. Intel G2 SSDs are a fairly safe bet and with next gen drives coming up you might find good deals.

Capacities are fairly low. If you need to store a lot of data you will need another drive because big SSDs are still very expensive.
              Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                Is the solid state worth the price? Does it bring any advantages compared to the ordinary one? Is it as fast?
                SSD makes many user experiences better on the MacbookAir than the default MacbookPro

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

"Makes many user experiences better"...sounds like typical Apple nebulous parlance...what does that even mean?
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Means that the computer is more responsive, because the machine is not waiting for the HDD which is the slowest component of all.

Apps and files load and save faster.
                    Quendelie axan!

Comment

So come on nerds, what do you reckon?
                      Get a laptop that has a monitor and keyboard.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

This might help: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-laptops/

I don't buy Apple and I will never buy HP again after I had problems with my last HP laptop so, personally, I'd go with the Toshiba Portege.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well I am going to have to buy one very soon now because this one is on the verge of failure. Everything crashes all the time. Not a good sign...
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Well I am going to have to buy one very soon now because this one is on the verge of failure. Everything crashes all the time. Not a good sign...
                            Sounds like you and your cars.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If you're looking for something sturdy it's hard to beat Thinkpads. I just bought my third Thinkpad; the last two were both solid, powerful machines. They probably cost about the same as a Mac, but with better build quality and they don't make you look like a d-bag.

SP
                              I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

here is a decent description of current notebook market

mentioning quite a few platform options in PC space, dependable on what you need.
                                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                                X