Poker skills off the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher View Post
    That probably happens more in minimum wage job. In my field, it costs a lot to bring someone new on to a team.

I got a huge raise in my first year at my first job, because I didn't like it too much and I was open about how I was being treated, etc. The client really liked me and didn't want to train someone new, so they threw money at me to get me to stay.
    Not minimum wage. Just a $40K/year job.

If you're truly replaceable and say you're not, that's what happens, as was said.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

True story, though. When I came home from OCS the first time, my boss called me to come back and gave me a 30% raise and a higher position.

The second time I left and came back from OCS, I wasn't hired back though.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        Not minimum wage. Just a $40K/year job.
        Either way, really low pay jobs.

If you're truly replaceable and say you're not, that's what happens, as was said.
        It's not the end of the world if it happens when you have desirable skillsets. If they don't want you, there's a million other companies who would happily take you.

In the end at the company that did throw me money -- after the client disappeared (you know what happened to Lehman), my time was numbered because I was overpaid for the kind of **** they wanted to put me on. As a result, I got a big package and got another job a week later. There was a period of about two months where I got double paycheques for my effort...one from the old company, one from the new.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
          If you are irreplacable, you won't get promoted from your irreplacable position.
          If this means you are underutilized then I would take your valuable skills elsewhere as you won't be happy and your employer is obviously a fool for thinking you would be.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X