The Day Canadian Internet Will Be Put on Life Support is March 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day Canadian Internet Will Be Put on Life Support is March 1st

Canadian Radio-Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) approved UBB (Usage-Based Billing) for the incumbent carrier Bell Canada in September. Competitive ISPs, which connect to Canada's top telco for last-mile copper connections to customers, will also be metered by Bell. Even though the CRTC gave these ISPs a 15 percent discount this month (TekSavvy asked for 50 percent), it's still going to mean a real adjustment for consumers.

Starting on March 1, Ontario TekSavvy members who subscribed to the 5Mbps plan have a new usage cap of 25GB, "substantially down from the 200GB or unlimited deals TekSavvy was able to offer before the CRTC's decision to impose usage based billing," the message added.
    Starting to hate this? TekSavvy hates it, too.

"The ostensible, theoretical reason behind UBB is to conserve capacity, but that issue is very questionable," noted the ISP's CEO Rocky Gaudrault on TekSavvy's news page. "One certain result though, is that Bell will make much more profit on its Internet service, and discourage Canadians from watching TV and movies on the internet instead of CTV, which Bell now owns."

Hey Canadians, what is this all about??? Sure does not sound like progress to me...
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

We've had dl caps for several years now but it's becoming more of an issue as online streaming becomes more common.

Crap policy decision as it forces small isp's to play by rules set by Bell and Rogers.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

crap policy decision indeed.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I watch all my video online.

Last month I paid $53 ($50 monthly fee and $3 for exceeding my limit).

I have paid as much as $80 a month before.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Cable TV with the channels I like would cost a little over $100/month.

Comment

Well over here ~ 20 USD for 8MB (real) and unlimited... ah well... I hope it lasts

Comment

The major ISPs have already had bandwidth quotas (ridiculously low) for a long time. This decision means the indy ISPs using the big ISP's lines also need to.

It's an immensely stupid decision that I've written to my MP about. Hope others do the same.

Time to turf the CRTC.

Last I checked, Canadian telecoms are some of the most profitable in the world. This kind of **** is why.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                We've had dl caps for several years now but it's becoming more of an issue as online streaming becomes more common.
                At Poly people can have as many DLs as they want
                Blah

Comment

My cap is 60GB, but until last week my ISP (Shaw) could not monitor my bandwidth properly. They said I downloaded 40GB last month under the old system. They've updated their software now and it's updated to the more-accurate 350GB.

It's $2/GB over the quota, which meant the bill read I was to be charged $580.

I immediately called them and told them off. According to their official monitoring tools during the month in use, I used 40GB so to retroactively change their metering, and without sending me any notice, it is unfair and infact illegal for them to charge me for overages. After being directed to the supervisor, I had the charges reversed and got a free month out of it (being irate helps).

But now I need to upgrade my tier ($10/month more) and add a 250GB/month data pack ($50/mo). Which meant my internet fee more than doubled. :/
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Asher, assume you leave a TV on 24/7 tuned to a hi-def channel, how much data in a month?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Average cable HDTV channel is 13 Mbps, some channels (like TSN) are 18 Mbps (mega-bits).

So your average channel is 1.625 megabytes/second of data. 4,352,400 megabytes.

That's 4,250GB per month for an average channel.
                      That's 5,885GB per month for a high-quality channel like TSN.

While they use the same pipes, they actually use different infrastructure than TV, though.

Comment

That's what, 7 teraquads?
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Right, but it might aid in explaining this to MPs and b'rats so they understand what the companies are doing.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The CRTC is a criminal organization. **** them.
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Why is ending cross-subsidies from low-use internet to high-use internet users a bad thing? Or is that not what is happening here?
                              Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Working...
                              X