Duke. Nukem. Forever. May 3rd 2011.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    I vaguely remember the redheaded kid being from the hood.

Yeah. Wikipedia says that character was from Brooklyn.
    You probably shouldn't rush to associate yourself with the "comic-relief" dickmunch character like that...
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      I have only vague memories of the show: the redheaded kid was a douche; "heart" was, as many people have pointed out, the crappiest possible power; the ending theme song gets stuck in your head. I can still recall that song today, sadly.
      CAPTAIN PLANET HE'S OUR HERO GONNA TAKE POLLUTION DOWN TO ZERO
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

GONNA HELP HIM PUT ASUNDER (? or something like that) BAD GUYS WHO LIKE TO...LOOTEN PLUNDER! ("YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS, CAPTAIN PLANET!") WE'RE THE PLANETEERS, YOU CAN BE ONE TOO, 'CAUSE SAVING OUR PLANET IS THE THING TO DO! LOOTING AND POLLUTING, IS NOT THE WAY, HERE'S WHAT CAPTAIN PLANET, HAS TO SAY: "THE POWER IS YOURS!"

Yeah, liberals used to totally kick conservatives' asses at propaganda.
        1011 1100

Comment

GONNA HELP HIM PUT ASUNDER (? or something like that) BAD GUYS WHO LIKE TO...LOOTEN PLUNDER! ("YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS, CAPTAIN PLANET!") WE'RE THE PLANETEERS, YOU CAN BE ONE TOO, 'CAUSE SAVING OUR PLANET IS THE THING TO DO! LOOTING AND POLLUTING, IS NOT THE WAY, HERE'S WHAT CAPTAIN PLANET, HAS TO SAY: "THE POWER IS YOURS!"

Yeah, liberals used to totally kick conservatives' asses at propaganda.
          Hey there was GI Joe
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Nah, GI Joe was just mildly jingoistic in tone, IIRC. No, not even jingoistic, just blandly and inoffensively patriotic, like Norman Rockwell with rocket launchers. Now, if GI Joe had spent several episodes sending Snake Eyes to beat the snot out of some anti-globalization protesters, you'd have a point. Also, I would probably still be watching it.
            1011 1100

Comment

Nah I think this is pretty jingoistic. I mean it was the late 80's but they knew to pit the Joe's against TERRORISTS called Cobra (and what part of the world are cobra snakes native to? )... Then bam when the kids who grew up watching it were old enough to enlist, September 11th

"G.I. Joe is the code name for America's daring highly-trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA, a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world."
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                Nah I think this is pretty jingoistic. I mean it was the late 80's but they knew to pit the Joe's against TERRORISTS called Cobra (and what part of the world are cobra snakes native to? )... Then bam when the kids who grew up watching it were old enough to enlist, September 11th

That intro was very late in the series. You can tell because they had Sir Pentor and SGT Slaughter plus the original intro (they had a new one every season, I was the target age for that show and all of my friends and I watched it especially since it was followed by The Transformers and then Robotech) was some what less jingoistic but the whole series was always based upon jingoism (America is ALWAYS right!). That said they were in business to sell toys and tv shows and they did a good job at that for like 20 years with that product line.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Duke. Nukem. False Advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                    That intro was very late in the series. You can tell because they had Sir Pentor and SGT Slaughter plus the original intro (they had a new one every season, I was the target age for that show and all of my friends and I watched it especially since it was followed by The Transformers and then Robotech) was some what less jingoistic but the whole series was always based upon jingoism (America is ALWAYS right!). That said they were in business to sell toys and tv shows and they did a good job at that for like 20 years with that product line.
                    And you ended up signing up!
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Nah, GI Joe was just mildly jingoistic in tone, IIRC. No, not even jingoistic, just blandly and inoffensively patriotic, like Norman Rockwell with rocket launchers. Now, if GI Joe had spent several episodes sending Snake Eyes to beat the snot out of some anti-globalization protesters, you'd have a point. Also, I would probably still be watching it.
                      +1
                      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I'd also like to add that the GI Joe movie was just about the funniest movie I've ever seen. Except when it was trying to be funny.
                        1011 1100

Comment

Never saw it. Is it worth seeing Elok? I have a backlog of movies I need to see.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Oh, it was freaking hysterical, provided you can tolerate--indeed, laugh at--atrocious acting, a stupid plot, clunky dialogue, silly gimmicks, and at least one physics error so bad even Hollywood writers should have caught it. I don't want to spoil the fun with details, but there's this one scene that's obviously supposed to be touching, and as the single tear trickled out of the girl's eye, I was just about out of my chair laughing. So was my then-girlfriend (now my wife). I came expecting a serviceable action flick, but...wow. Should've guessed from Sienna Miller being one of the biggest names on the marquee. Wiki says she won a Razzie, but it should have gone to whoever played Scarlett. I've seen less wooden performances from actual blocks of wood.

Hmm. Wiki also says there'll be a sequel, that it'll be written by the guys who did Zombieland, and it might simply be a reboot. I hope it either sucks as hard as the first or manages to be genuinely clever somehow; I hate to think it'll just struggle up to mediocre.
                            1011 1100

Comment

Thanks for traumatising me by bringing up Captain Planet. Old wounds.

As for Duke Nukem himself, he will be back! Oh wait, wrong steroid guy.

Comment

Even when I was a kid everyone I knew made fun of Captain Planet as the show was just so over the top retarded.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X