Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Canada more civilized than the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The public relations problem here for Canada is that the seals happen to be cute and fluffy. Now if they were ugly, scaly seals .....

Comment

Seals are some of the most nasty creatures on this planet. Seriously. People who think they're cute and cuddly, even the baby ones, are hilariously ignorant. Which is something Americans excel in.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

ANSWER THE LT. GOVERNOR QUESTION

WHY ARE THERE LT. GOVERNORS THEY ARE USELESS
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          ANSWER THE LT. GOVERNOR QUESTION

WHY ARE THERE LT. GOVERNORS THEY ARE USELESS
          Each province has a Lt Governor as the head-of-state representative.

The real useless part of the Canadian government is the Senate, which genuinely serves no real purpose. They form committees to study random things, but their findings have no teeth. They can reject a bill, but it just delays it at worst. They're also APPOINTED, and have their seat for life* (except for the ones Harper is appointing, who are agreeing to step down after 8/10 years or something)
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            Each province has a Lt Governor as the head-of-state representative in each province.

The real useless part of the Canadian government is the Senate, which genuinely serves no real purpose.
            You dodged the question. Agree or disagree, Lt. Govs are useless.

Comment

I would agree with you that politicians are useless in general.

Comment

FWIW, I think you're wrong. And as for being ceremonial and diplomatic--that's what I mean by worthless. It still doesn't explain Lieutenant Governors. Why do provinces need someone to rubberstamp their parliament bills?
                That's because you're uncultured, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  Seals are some of the most nasty creatures on this planet. Seriously. People who think they're cute and cuddly, even the baby ones, are hilariously ignorant. Which is something Americans excel in.
                  On second thoughts. Correction to my earlier statement. Seals "appear" cute and fluffy in the photographs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                    How can you call this civilized?

We've done this photo. The guy is just practising his hockey technique.

Comment

If Canada wasn't such a backwards backwater, they'd use remote controlled club arrays via the internet.

Comment

FWIW, I think you're wrong. And as for being ceremonial and diplomatic--that's what I mean by worthless. It still doesn't explain Lieutenant Governors. Why do provinces need someone to rubberstamp their parliament bills?

Uhmm. Why do states each have their own constitutions? Durr.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Rightist conservative views in Britain are very different from rightist conservative views in the US.

You might want to explore the implications of the word 'conservative', Boffin.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                            Uhmm. Why do states each have their own constitutions? Durr.
                            Constitutions actually have practical legal implications. Lt. Governors are just another archaic vestige of the monarchy.

Comment

Their role would need to be filled with or without a monarchy under our parliamentary system. They prorogue/dissolve parliament, and are granted veto rights over bills.

Comment

This just in:

Comment

Working...
                                X