Betelgeuse explodes: Earth will see a 'second sun'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post

How long does it take the light to reach earth?
    (1300 light years from Earth) found
    Prob happened thousand years ago but we have not seen it yet.
    I thought it was 600 light years from earth.
    Anyway, if it's 1300 light years, then it takes 1300 light years to be visible for us.
    (and if it's 600 light years away, then it takes 600 light years)
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

640 lightyears it is:
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Well yeah, it could've exploded centuries ago and we just don't know yet...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

However, with distance estimates in the last century that have ranged anywhere from 180 to 1,300 light years from Earth,
          Maybe because it is shrinking?

Comment

Kind of. It has more to do with the fact that Betelgeuse is a variable star, which means its brightness and size change periodically. This change makes it difficult for scientists to get an accurate read on the star.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
              Anyway, if it's 1300 light years, then it takes 1300 light years to be visible for us.
              (and if it's 600 light years away, then it takes 600 light years)
              Could you explain to me how that works, please?
              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

light travels distances over years, these distances are so enormous they're called lightyears, for instance our sun is 8 light minutes from Earth, respectively, meaning it takes 8 minutes for the light of the sun to hit the Earth. If the sun were say 1300 light years away, it would take 1300 years to notice how it is right at this moment of time. Is that a sufficient explanation?
                "Life is the only RPG you'll ever play, The religious want to be one with the moderator, the scientists want to hack the game, and the gamers want to do both."

Comment

I think germanos may have been being sarcastic.

That or he was confused by Plomp mixing his terms.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

both actually
                    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

This is like predicting the past.

I'm a huge proponent of double suns. We should get together and form a Poly-based religion, develop a mythology for it and create a tax-exempt organization.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

That sounds interesting Jrabbit but I think I found a religion speaking my language.

TORONTO -- It's judgment day Monday for a Toronto church -- the "Church of the Universe" -- that has asked a Superior Court judge for an exemption to the country's marijuana laws for religious reasons.

If Madam Justice Thea Herman grants the exemption, it would strike down the laws prohibiting the possession, cultivation and distribution of marijuana.

"It would effectively legalize marijuana because every pot smoker would find a new religion," argued Nick Devlin and Donna Polgar, of the Public Prosecution Service of Canada, which opposes the bid.

They urged the court to weed out frivolous claims.

"The Church of the Universe ... offers marijuana -- however and whenever individuals want it," the lawyers stated in their factums filed in court.

"Simply put, the mere fact that one profoundly enjoys using marijuana does not beget a constitutional right to traffic it commercially."

It is expected that if the church wins the exemption, the federal government will appeal the decision to the Ontario Court of Appeal.

It's believed to be the first time a Canadian court has been asked to define whether a religion's illegal practices are protected by the Charter of Rights.

Lawyers Paul Lewin and George Filipovic, who represent two minister members of the church, argued the Church of the Universe views cannabis as sacred substance which brings them closer to God.

The religion also teaches that Jesus Christ was anointed with a holy oil, containing a key ingredient which translates as cannabis, court heard.

The two lawyers represent Peter Styrsky and Shahrooz Kharaghani, both minister-members of the Beaches Mission of God -- Assembly of The Church of the Universe (COU) location in east Toronto.

By outlawing marijuana, the state is infringing on the Universe church-goers' Charter right of Freedom of Religion, their lawyers argue. Styrsky, 53, and Kharaghani, 31, were charged with trafficking marijuana after they allegedly sold pot to two undercover cops who infiltrated their church as members in 2006.

Wezil's going to heaven.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Nice.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

talk about Jesus appearing from up on high
                            "Life is the only RPG you'll ever play, The religious want to be one with the moderator, the scientists want to hack the game, and the gamers want to do both."

Comment

doublepost stupid computer

Comment

Working...
                              X