Clear All

• Another:

Breaking News Alert
    The New York Times
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 -- 6:59 AM EST
    -----

Vaclav Havel, Former President of Czech Republic, Dies at 75
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• He was quite an important guy in the changes that led to the end of the Eastern bloc. Too bad nutjobs like the North Korean one get much more publicity these days.
      Blah

Comment

• True dat.
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
          I noticed his death on the weekend and checked the list.

Unpicked.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• The Kim Jong Il (now Dead) update has been finished.

A couple notes:

1) There is disagreement regarding his birth year (1941 vs 1942). I had originally listed him as 1941 but in view of the confusion that has been amended to 1942. The media consensus seems to be 1942 and my personal policy has been to accept the younger date when such confusion occurs. The end result is the hit is worth 1 less point than you may have predicted.
            2) A curiosity - Kim Jong Il is the only celeb of this year's top ten picks to have died...

10 players score:

Robert Plomp (1) = (171 - 1) + (100 - 69) = 201 points
            Stonesfan (2) = 200 points
            SlowwHand (3) = 199 points
            Krill (6) = 196 points
            -Jrabbit (8) = 194 points
            Omni Rex Draconis (9) = 193 points
            MRT144 (9) = 193 points
            OneFootInTheGrave (13) = 189 points
            OzzyKP (17) = 185 points
            Guynemer (20) = 182 points

Lot of movement on both points tables. -Jrabbit maintains his 1 or 2 hit lead in the 2011 Pool with only two weeks to go...
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
              Actually, I hereby claim that two of the people on my list have died in the past year, in addition to KJI:

Vasily Aleksanyan, died 2nd October 2011, http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...er/444834.html. Unique pick, +25 points, died age 39 of AIDS complications.
              Verified. Unique pick ranked #16.

= (171 - 16) + (100 - 39) + 25

= 241 points

Basil D'Oliveira, 19th Nov 2011, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/15803140.stm, unique pick, +25 points, died age 81 according to Wikipedia even though the BBC says he was 83.
              Verified. Unique pick ranked # 19.

I'm going with the 1931 birthdate. The BBC date (1928) is based upon what an author claims D'Oliveira told him in private.

= (171 - 19) + (100 - 80) + 25

= 197 points.

Comment

• Krill's score on master list needs updating.

Also, we need to get things started for 2012. Guynemer, you still up for doing this?

Comment

• I'm still working on The Krill Update. I needed to verify closely a few dates as it appears Mr. Krill is very close to some serious bonus points...

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                  Um, Wezil, third pick for you to check up on:

Donald Nielson: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-16242235 Died age 75 on Sunday 18/12/11 at 1845. Also a unique pick. God Damnit, and KJI died on Saturday local time.
                  Verified. Unique pick ranked #18.

= (171 - 18) + (100 - 75) + 25

= 203 points.

This marks Krill's 3rd hit in the last 30 days. Should he score on more hit by the end of the 18th (i.e. not reported yet) he could be our first Grand Slam winner (100 bonus points).

Also, he is now in contention to share the 50 point Killing Spree Award with the Canadian Cadaver Dogs (having broken up other strings with his delayed reports).

Finally, Krill is currently in position to claim the Can't Cheat Death Award (another 25 points).

Comment

• While I don't normally want people to die, I wonder how Al-Megrahi is coming along. Especially with Libya as volatile as it is...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• If anyone is wondering why Krill's All-Time points differ from his total this year (when he has scored all 4 of his hits)...

I have lists of past years and past players. Any player that competes but doesn't score a hit receives the Poly Dead Pool consolation Empty Casket Award at the end of the year. Krill played in 2008 and received the consolation.

When I compile the All-Time list I only include those players that have actually scored a hit (to save effort on this end). If you have previous points when you score your first hit I'll add them in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
                        While I don't normally want people to die, I wonder how Al-Megrahi is coming along. Especially with Libya as volatile as it is...
                        Your points spree should be good incentive for all players to check their lists, particularly their more obscure picks.

Comment

• Hey Wezil, just to confirm the rules, if a late report were to occur, saying one of my picks died in the past week, wouldn't I also get the Hat trick award, as well as the Grand Slam? Or do you only get the highest points total? I can see reasons for the Daily Double and Hat trick to not stack, but the Grandslam and Hat trick aren't necessarily always going to happen together.
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• You could claim both as they are distinct awards.

Theoretically, you could claim multiple Hat Tricks in the space of a single Grand Slam, but only one Grand Slam regardless of the 30 day body count (ie, 9 dead in a 30 day period could be 3 HT's but still only 1 GS).

Edit - I would amend the wording of Grand Slam to "4 or more celebrities".

Good question, and an example something that evolves each season.

I'd also amend rule 20 (ties into a previous issue of birthdate).

Comment

• Other trivia tid-bits if anyone cares...

We've had a record 22 hits so far this year. Additionally, total points records (for all players combined) are way up over previous seasons.

I've awarded points 48 times totaling 9204 points.

Previous hit records were 30 times (2010) and the previous high total was 6523 in 2009 (on 29 claims).

We're only up by about 3 players over our usual count so you guys are doing something right this year.

Comment

• does that bastard in NK count as a celebrity?

Comment

Working...
                                X