The 2011 Off Topic Celebrity Dead Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
    Just goes to show that you should never quit your job.
    I had the same thought. Retirement kills.

"People with jobs to do tend to get up to go do them..."
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• I would like to retire. I don't bore easily. I could watch other people work and be just fine.

Joe Frazier seriously ill with cancer
      Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Former heavyweight champion Joe Frazier has liver cancer and is under hospice care.

The 67-year-old boxer was diagnosed four or five weeks ago, Frazier's personal and business manager said Saturday. Leslie Wolff told The Associated Press that doctors have not yet told Frazier how long he has to live.
      Last edited by SlowwHand; November 5, 2011, 19:16.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        I would like to retire. I don't bore easily. I could watch other people work and be just fine.
        Former world heavyweight boxing champion Joe Frazier dies after a brief battle with liver cancer, his family has said.

He's dead. Anyone got him?
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post

No, he was not picked this year.

He died before the ink dried on my note for next year.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Heavy D dead at 44:

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Wow. RIP, big man...
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• A page 5 *bump*

Blow the dust off the thread for the home stretch.

Comment

• Crap, time to start thinking about next year as well.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Hard to believe a year has nearly gone by already.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Ex-heavyweight contender Ron Lyle dies at 70

DENVER (AP) -- Former heavyweight contender Ron Lyle, who fought Muhammad Ali for the title in 1975 and later battled George Foreman, has died in Denver at age 70.

Lyle died Saturday from complications from a sudden stomach ailment, said Ron McKinney, a Salvation Army official in Denver. Details weren't immediately available.

McKinney, a family friend who hired Lyle to start the charity's boxing program in 2002, said Lyle retired from the program last December but continued to work out at the gym every day

"I just saw him yesterday (Friday)," McKinney said. "You looked at him and he looked like he was ready to step into the ring. Shake hands with him, and it's like shaking a piece of steel."

The gym, called Red Shield Cox-Lyle Boxing, would show replays of Lyle's fights every Friday night as inspiration for some of the program's 100 students, McKinney said.

Lyle lost to both Ali and Foreman in the mid-1970s.

After his career in boxing, Lyle lived in Las Vegas where he trained young boxers and worked as a security guard.

He made a brief comeback in 1995 at age 54 and hoped to fight Foreman again in a fight jokingly billed as "Old and Older." Lyle hoped for a better result than the 1976 match in which he took a beating from Foreman. He also toyed with the idea of fighting Mike Tyson but neither fight materialized.
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Harry Morgan
                        "M*A*S*H" star Harry Morgan died at his home in Los Angeles on Wednesday morning. The character actor was 96.
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• He was still alive? Jesus H. Christ.
                          "

Comment

• Harry Morgan was 96 and a unique pick for stonesfan (17).

(171 - 17) + (100 - 96) + 25
                            = 183 points

No change in position but stonesfan closes on the top two players.

Also, Mr. Morgan is the 17th celeb to take an active part in our pool this year - a new Poly DP record.

Comment

• Speaking of next year, are you doing it, Wezil? Just in case I don't prepare my list too late again.

edit: What? No? Ok.
                              Last edited by ColdWizard; December 8, 2011, 15:32.

Comment

• Anne McCaffrey
                                Anne McCaffrey, a science-fiction writer widely known as the Dragon Lady for her best-selling series of young-adult novels, “Dragonriders of Pern,” died on Monday in County Wicklow, Ireland. She was 85.

The cause was a stroke, her publisher, Random House, told The Associated Press.

Comment

Working...
                                X