No announcement yet.

The 2011 Off Topic Celebrity Dead Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody wake up Wezil. There's a scoring update to do.

Elizabeth Taylor, Movie Legend, Dies at 79

Today 6:28 AM PDT by Joal Ryan

Elizabeth Taylor, the Oscar-winning movie goddess and pioneering AIDS activist whose off-screen marriages, divorces and death-defying exploits rivaled her films for drama died today, her family said in a statement.

She was 79, and had been hospitalized in recent weeks for congestive heart failure.

"Her legacy will never fade, her spirit will always be with us, and her love will live forever in our hearts," son Michael Wilding said.

Taylor starred in 50-plus movies. She made the leap from child star to world's biggest star. She won two Oscars, for Butterfield 8 and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Other signature films included Father of the Bride, Giant, and Cleopatra, on the set of which she began a notorious love affair with costar Richard Burton, whom she would marry, divorce, remarry and divorce again.

In all, Taylor celebrated eight marriages and endured seven divorces.

"I never planned to acquire a lot of jewels or a lot of husbands," she said in a recent interview with Kim Kardashian for Harper's Bazaar. "For me, life happened, just as it does for anyone else."

Of all her off-screen accomplishments, most notably she helped raised more than $200 million for AIDS research. In the family statement, Wilding praised his mother's "brave and relentless fight" for the cause.

In 2009, Taylor announced, via her Twitter page—yes, she rolled with the times—that she was to undergo heart surgery to repair a valve. Her most recent hospital stint, at L.A.'s Cedars-Sinai, where she died, began in February.

"Everything was handed to me. Looks, fame, wealth, honors, love," she said in 1999. "But I've paid for that luck with disasters, the deaths of so many good friends, terrible illnesses, destructive addictions, broken marriages."

"All things considered, I'm damned lucky to be alive."

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b232404_elizabeth_taylor_movie_legend_dies_79.html #ixzz1HQkLsg5c
    RIP...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• you are quick though
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• How the high holy **** did I leave her off my list?
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• My sentiment exactly.
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• RIP Liz.
            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• 5 players had Elizabeth Taylor on their list.

Ms. Taylor was 79 and provides no bonuses.

solomwi (5) = 187 points
              OneFootInTheGrave (15) = 177 points
              stonesfan (16) = 176 points
              Wezil (18) = 174 points
              Robert Plomp (20) = 172 points

Lots of movement on the points board and Robert Plomp's "Life Kills" team take the lead.
              Last edited by Wezil; March 23, 2011, 15:48. Reason: correct the facts
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• I am in top 5
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• You got a good jump on the all time list as well. You had some consolation points from seasons past to your credit but I don't add players to that list until they score an official hit.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Loleatta Holloway, who scored a string of R&B and dance hits, died of a heart attack this week, her manager said. She was 64.

Holloway suffered a fatal heart attack on Monday at Chicago's Advocate South Suburban Hospital, said her manager Ron Richardson of Hushtown Entertainment.

Best known for her disco hits "Love Sensation" and "Hit and Run," Holloway began her career as a gospel singer, and, as a teenager, replaced Shirley Caesar in the Caravans in 1967.

Richardson called her "a strong, feisty, but loving woman."

Her career got a boost in 1991 when Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch sampled "Love Sensation" in their chart-topping single "Good Vibrations."

Holloway was born in Chicago in 1947 and is survived by four children and nine grandchildren, Richardson said. Funeral arrangements are pending.
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Great quote from Elizabeth Taylor:

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they’re going to have some pretty annoying virtues."

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        Lots of movement on the points board and Robert Plomp's "Life Kills" team take the lead.
                        So I'm actually good at this 8)
                        Finally something!
                        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• can i predict that that one lady andrews will die? she's soooooo old. please?: idr the rules...

Comment

• so many spicy fries. i wouldn't be surpirsed if i died tonight. nfuianhsefuiqnwefi;kwhanefjkaw efawe f>.<

Comment

• That's what you get, hogette.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                                So I'm actually good at this 8)
                                Finally something!
                                The Vicious Rabbits are just lulling you into a false sense of security.

Comment

Working...
                                X