• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice Pirates
    The Warriors(1979)
    Hoodwinked

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Cinna View Post
      did anyone ever see the leonardo dicaprio romeo and julliet? was that worth seeing?
      The translation to a modern setting struck me as gimmicky and, at that stage in his career, DiCaprio's acting was a bit painful. These are just my recollections from seeing it in ninth grade, though, and may have been colored by my distaste for the play at the time. OTOH, I recall the portrayal of Mercutio was...striking, to say the least! Give it a shot if you've got Netflix, it'll cost the equivalent of, what, eighty cents?

I think I will tack on that Richard III. I discovered that wonderful villain only recently--y'know what, I think I'll just start a Shakespearithreadi.

EDIT: Actually, on second thought, the Olivier version comes first. I'm leery of casual setting-swaps. They can be done well, but in my experience they're more often a sign of a director who thinks he's about ten times cleverer than he actually is. Witness the Anthony Hopkins Titus Andronicus, which somehow made that grim play even crummier. If it weren't for Hopkins himself it would've been utter crap.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Gah! I just mentioned that film in your other thread. Couldn't disagree more. I thought the portrayal of Aaron, especially, was phenomenal.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          Why is that funny? What the hell is wrong with you? You laugh at people dying young?
          You really think he's dead?

Comment

Yes, he's dead. He's been dead for 14 years now.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

If you really think it was hot stuff, I might put it on there for a re-viewing. I saw it a long time ago, after all (my specific objections to it are in the Shakespearithreadi).
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Dobermann. Stupid French action movie.

The Return(Guessing title ?). Russian movie.

Farewell Falkenberg (Guessing again ?). Swedish movie where nothing happens. Not for everyone!
                Last edited by Kitschum; December 27, 2010, 01:16.

Comment

^ a nice list of good Russian films
                  Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    I just added Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. It's one of those archaeologists-unearth-unspeakable-evil horror flicks from Finland, only in this case the unspeakable evil is apparently the Finnish version of Santa Claus. It only came out in theaters today (limited release), but I'm willing to wait.
                    I want to see this.

Also, it's hilarious how a lot of Euronations have some sort of anti-santa
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                    X