No announcement yet.

It's amusing how sympathetic CNN is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's amusing how sympathetic CNN is...

Rioting broke out in Russia's two largest cities Saturday as soccer fans protested the death of a man in ethnically charged clashes earlier in the week.

Yegor Sviridov, 28, was killed during a huge brawl in northern Moscow between football fans and migrants from the North Caucasus region. A suspect is in custody, RIA Novosti reported.

Thousands of fans - commonly called "football hooligans" in the Russian media - turned out for a memorial Saturday at Moscow's Red Square. Violence and fires soon erupted again, and hundreds of riot police used shields, truncheons and gas to try to disperse the crowd. Video on the Russia 24 network showed helmeted police clubbing protesters and dragging them away.

Similar clashes broke out in St. Petersburg, RIA Novosti reported. Nationalists and members of the outlawed National Bolshevik Party were reportedly involved, but media said most of those present are "ordinary fans," according to the news agency.

A police spokesperson denied that any serious incidents had occurred in St. Petersburg.

If this'd happened in the US, CNN's sympathy would've been on the black/Hispanic side of the conflict and the protesters would've been called "rabid racists".
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Originally posted by onodera View Post
    Rioting broke out in Russia's two largest cities Saturday as soccer fans protested the death of a man in ethnically charged clashes earlier in the week.

Yegor Sviridov, 28, was killed during a huge brawl in northern Moscow between football fans and migrants from the North Caucasus region. A suspect is in custody, RIA Novosti reported.

Thousands of fans - commonly called "football hooligans" in the Russian media - turned out for a memorial Saturday at Moscow's Red Square. Violence and fires soon erupted again, and hundreds of riot police used shields, truncheons and gas to try to disperse the crowd. Video on the Russia 24 network showed helmeted police clubbing protesters and dragging them away.

Similar clashes broke out in St. Petersburg, RIA Novosti reported. Nationalists and members of the outlawed National Bolshevik Party were reportedly involved, but media said most of those present are "ordinary fans," according to the news agency.

A police spokesperson denied that any serious incidents had occurred in St. Petersburg.

If this happened in the US, CNN's sympathy would've been on the black/Hispanic side of the conflict and the protesters would've been called "rabid racists".
    What does CNN have to do with this? And what do you mean if this happened in the US, etc.?

Is European racism showing once more Heraclitus-style?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      What does CNN have to do with this? And what do you mean if this happened in the US, etc.?

This article I quoted is from CNN. It's them who hesitate to call the protesters rabid racists.

Comment

onodera, when has CNN ever called anyone "rabid racists?"

This article is about as neutral as one could hope for, and that's how journalism is supposed to be...
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

That's because, in the US, being called a "football hooligan" is far worse than being called a rapid racist.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

It's important to read a post before responding...

Comment

I want to know why he thinks CNN would call white people rabid racists. It sounds like a Heraclitus-style 'troll'
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post

This article is about as neutral as one could hope for, and that's how journalism is supposed to be...
                It's not exactly neutral. They didn't mention that their "vigil" involved calls for violence against immigrants, Nazi salutes and violent beatings of anyone swarthy-looking within vicinity. CNN made it sound like they clashed with the police because ACAB.

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure the average American recognizes the ethnic differences between Slavic groups, Caucasians, Russian Jews, Gypsies, etc. Russia and Eastern Europe is considered to be some kind of ethnic block. When the Borat movie ran in theaters, the media was constantly referring to his character as an Eastern European stereotype.

Comment

Why would CNN air this anyways? Who the hell cares?
                    APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post

The myth of neutral reporting is one of the worst things about American journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV View Post
                        Honestly, I'm not sure the average American recognizes the ethnic differences between Slavic groups, Caucasians, Russian Jews, Gypsies, etc. Russia and Eastern Europe is considered to be some kind of ethnic block. When the Borat movie ran in theaters, the media was constantly referring to his character as an Eastern European stereotype.
                        Even though Kazaks are a Turkish ethnic group.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

See, that's why I like fox news. They don't pretend to be neutral (with the exception of their slogan, which doesn't really say neutral, it says "fair", which is up to a lot more interpretation).

Actually I hate all TV news, but I like how Fox at least lets you know what side it's on and doesn't do so subtly.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                            Even though Kazaks are a Turkish ethnic group.
                            and in Central Asia...Apolyton education for the masses
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Kazakhs look more like East Asians than Turks, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X