Religion and Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elok View Post
    Does this include churches that agitate for social justice, or just the ones that you disagree with?
    QFT
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
      Religion is a business.
      No. Businesses are only taxed on their earnings. If a business doesn't earn anything it doesn't get taxed. Do you want to tax businesses that have no earnings?
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
        In U.S., politically active churches should have their tax exempt status removed.

discuss

Typical. Throwing a steaming pile of **** on the table and leave for others to clean up. Why don't we discuss why you're a jackass?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

All I need do is look to Rome. Yes it is a business and a quite profitable one.

Where are Habitat's cathedrals?
          Habitat has been around a lot less time, and was never a nation/world power.

And I don't think the Roman Catholics were always a charity. They were definitely a military and secular power, and sold indulgences/etc.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
            No. Businesses are only taxed on their earnings. If a business doesn't earn anything it doesn't get taxed. Do you want to tax businesses that have no earnings?
            Are you saying churches break even at the end of the year? Really?

While I'm sure some lose money (as do businesses in any sector), the religion hustle is very prosperous.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
              Habitat has been around a lot less time, and was never a nation/world power.
              And they aren't interested in building shrines to themselves.

Big difference Jon.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Are you saying churches break even at the end of the year? Really?

While I'm sure some lose money (as do businesses in any sector), the religion hustle is very prosperous.
                Are you saying they distribute earnings?

Comment

No.

My business doesn't either.

Comment

No.

My business doesn't either.
                    Then you are stupid for continuing it.

Comment

Um... there are plenty of (at least in the US) tax exempt non profit charities. They are referred to as 501(c)(3) organizations, and frankly, I think Habitat for Humanity is one of them (as well as religious institutions).
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Elk's Lodge. Moose Lodge. Shriner's. Odd Fellows. Veteran's organization. Many organizations.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                          Then you are stupid for continuing it.
                          Why? For the last number of years all profits have been funneled back into the business. We have bought property and increased the value of our holding (kinda like churches). Sorry if that seems stupid to you.

Comment

Why? For the last number of years all profits have been funneled back into the business. We have bought property and increased the value of our holding (kinda like churches). Sorry if that seems stupid to you.
                            That's a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                              Typical. Throwing a steaming pile of **** on the table and leave for others to clean up. Why don't we discuss why you're a jackass?
                              Look in the mirror, Slowwy.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                                Does this include churches that agitate for social justice, or just the ones that you disagree with?
                                I want to be hypocritical like everyone else in our society, and say that this should only apply to churches I disagree with.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X