Religion and Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion and Politics

In U.S., politically active churches should have their tax exempt status removed.

discuss
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

No need, you've already covered the issue completely.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Does this include churches that agitate for social justice, or just the ones that you disagree with?
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I'd allow tax free status on charity works (receipts please) and tax the rest.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
          In U.S., politically active churches should have their tax exempt status removed.

discuss
          If we can make a good definition of politically active churches, then I agree.
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
            The question is, if a pastor visits people who are sick/depressed/etc in their homes, is this a charity work or not?

THere are a lot of similar questions.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post

discuss
              Please put Asher on your ignore list.
              Please do not quote Asher.
              He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                The question is, if a pastor visits people who are sick/depressed/etc in their homes, is this a charity work or not?

THere are a lot of similar questions.

JM
                No, that is a sales call.

Religions are businesses fighting for a dwindling market share.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Quite frankly Jon, if you want to argue gray areas I'd be just as inclined to remove tax free status completely to remove the confusion. I'm trying to be generous.

Comment

End tax exemptions for all churches.

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                    I agree.

Comment

See, you fundamentally don't think they are offering a service. As such, how could you consider them as doing charity work?

You are biased, that is why you don't see it.

If we had an organization sending counselors to peoples homes you wouldn't argue that it wasn't a charity.

If there was a church that requirement payment for such services, it wouldn't be a charity. No major Christian church is this way, hence all are charities (and most of their efforts are charity).

Just because I don't want the meat soup that some homeless shelter is giving away, doesn't stop them from being a charity and taking part in charity. The desirability to me of a given good or service does not effect whether offering it for free is charitable or not.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Outreach to sick and dying parishioners is done for more than just altruistic reasons Jon. There are wills involved.

Comment

**** it. You convinced me Jon.

Remove tax free status altogether and avoid the confusion/debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                            See, you fundamentally don't think they are offering a service. As such, how could you consider them as doing charity work?

If there was a church that requirement payment for such services, it wouldn't be a charity. No major Christian church is this way, hence all are charities (and most of their efforts are charity).
                            Of course churches offer a service, and their attendees pay for it. The fact that churches let attendees choose their own price doesn't make them a charity.

Comment

well using that logic then there is no such thing as charity. as all 'charities' provide a service and are paid for by their donors and the donors select their own price.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X