Brits: Christmas Pudding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    Both of those guys are Australians, Boris.

I can't help you. I've never been offered or ate "Boiled Christmas Pudding". Don't the British make it out of cow's blood or something? It might not taste bad, though.
    I find it rather disturbing just how ignorant you Americans are of other cultures. I was talking to an Irish colleague of mine who said he went into the office in the US, and when asked how is weekend was, he replied "Had some good food, a few drinks and some good craic". The people in the office thought he was a druggle
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Christmas pudding is amazing. Incredibly rich and dense, sweet and fruity. Like a dense but moist fruitcake. Flaming it with brandy is vital (I also like to pour some brandy and cream on it to make a kind of sauce and keep it boozy).
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
        I find it rather disturbing just how ignorant you Americans are of other cultures. I was talking to an Irish colleague of mine who said he went into the office in the US, and when asked how is weekend was, he replied "Had some good food, a few drinks and some good craic". The people in the office thought he was a druggle
        What the **** is craic?

You could've picked far better examples. I've a feeling you wouldn't know a ton of America-specific slang either, Craic is far from a worldly term other cultures have been exposed to.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
          Christmas pudding is amazing. Incredibly rich and dense, sweet and fruity. Like a dense but moist fruitcake. Flaming it with brandy is vital (I also like to pour some brandy and cream on it to make a kind of sauce and keep it boozy).
          I don't think Americans do fruitcake either.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Not if we can help it. When my family gets together for Xmas, we always have roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for dinner. But this pudding seems to be rather different from the Yorkshire kind (which is awesome).
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              You could've picked far better examples. I've a feeling you wouldn't know a ton of America-specific slang either, Craic is far from a worldly term other cultures have been exposed to.
              Seriously.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Bollocks, considering over half of North America claims to be Irish, they should know what craic means...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I can assure you no one EVER uses that word here. Nor likely outside of the UK. And let's face it, no one pays attention to the UK.

According to wiki, it's a relatively recent term that was probably popularized well after all the smarter Irishmen left Ireland for North America.

Comment

I don't think Americans do fruitcake either.
                    Not true, I like iron rations!
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I can assure you no one EVER uses that word here. Nor likely outside of the UK.
                      This. Never heard of it, yet my local pub is an Irish bar, owed by born in Ireland people, with one of the managers also being born and living in Ireland.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I can assure you no one EVER uses that word here. Nor likely outside of the UK.
                        It's about as common in Australia as the UK - that is I've only ever heard born and bred Irishmen use it, and they all seem to use it.

PS I think I know more Irish people than Imran.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          This. Never heard of it, yet my local pub is an Irish bar, owed by born in Ireland people, with one of the managers also being born and living in Ireland.
                          They tell you that for commercial reasons. I bet they're not Irish at all.
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                            They tell you that for commercial reasons. I bet they're not Irish at all.
                            Oh they most certainly are.

Comment

I can assure you no one EVER uses that word here. Nor likely outside of the UK. And let's face it, no one pays attention to the UK.

According to wiki, it's a relatively recent term that was probably popularized well after all the smarter Irishmen left Ireland for North America.
                              See this is the thing, the Americans aren't just ignorant, they revel in it. I'm quite disappointed at you Asher for being part of this...
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I expect you, then, to know all Southern US phrases or else I may refer to you as ignorant as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X