Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Krugman only worry about the deficit when it's caused by taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    So let me get this straight--you think I'm racist and believe in guilt by association?
    But you are and you do. One only has to look at your views on the Palestinians to see it.
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
      Desert arguments are boring because people focus too much on the Sahara, which doesn't deserve all that attention. We should redistribute some of the focus to smaller deserts like the Gobi as they need it the most.
      The Sonoran Desert is my favourite.

I quite like the Atacama too.
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Tax Bill stalled as House dems say F*** You to Obama

"Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

This is what happens when you sell out your own party's goals without consulting them.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Finding new ways to piss off your base and RINO's you need to get anything done in the future. Double threat.

Washington — Sen. Lindsey Graham (R., S.C.), one of the Senate’s high-profile mavericks, tells National Review Online that President Obama’s “whining” over the tax deal reveals his “political immaturity.”

“By using rhetoric that calls us ‘hostage-takers,’ he believes, somehow, that the Left will give him some credit for hating us, or putting us in a bad light. But it just lowers him,” Graham says. “He is whining, and no one likes a whining president. . . . There is a lot of disappointment on our side. Quite frankly, this is going to be hard to forget.”

The American people, Graham says, “see weakness” in how the president has handled the agreement. “They see a guy who is unsure of himself, who is political to a fault. He’s always got his finger up in the air, and that’s not comforting.”

“I think he’s adrift,” Graham says. “His instincts, I think, are to be more centrist, since that’s the political future for him. But he doesn’t feel comfortable taking on his own party. And he sure doesn’t know how to cut a deal and sell it. This goes back to experience. He’s never done this stuff before. I hope the message is, before you elect someone president of the United States, the more experience they have in the real world, the better. He’s never sat down with a group of Republicans and Democrats —hard-headed right and hard-headed left — and hammered out a deal.”

Graham tells us that he comes to these conclusions reluctantly. “I don’t throw bombs for the hell of throwing bombs,” he says. “I don’t hate the president; I don’t question his birth or his patriotism. I try to work across party lines on big things that have to be done in a bipartisan way.” The president, he adds, “doesn’t understand the consequences that come from playing cheap politics and biting rhetoric when you’re the president of the United States.”

“I like the president personally, but he’s whining to the Left about ‘You’re putting too much pressure on me,’ and he’s whining to us about making his life difficult,” Graham continues. “What he ought to do is say ‘I support this deal, it’s the best thing for the country, it’s not what I would like in a perfect world, but I stand by it and I’m going to sell it the best I can and put America ahead of anything else.’ That means you don’t belittle your opponent or attack your base for having differences with you — triangulate without making everyone mad.”

Turning to the Senate, Graham calls Majority Leader Harry Reid’s handling of the lame-duck session “small-minded” and “tone deaf,” emblematic of the “last gasp of liberalism.” Reid, he sighs, by trying to shuffle numerous bills through at the last minute, is holding a “bazaar for special-interest groups.”
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

She sounds like the whiner.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Cluster****.

Pre-emptively compromise (before negotiations even begin)? Check. Standard operating proceedure from Barack at this point.
                Fail to get the buy-in of your own party? Check.
                Whine about your base? Check.

Not long ago, Obama apparently understood he wasn't Congress. He largely left things to the Congressional leadership to handle. I can only assume he feels burned by this and figured he'd do an end-around (largely on his own party). They, apparently, did not appreciate it.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                  She sounds like the whiner.
                  Lindsey Graham is male.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Yes, I know.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Washington DC brings new meaning to the term whiny. As congressional statements go, that's not whiny at all.

Comment

"He called us hostage-takers!!" is a pretty clear cut example of whining.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Not in Washington, that's called "giving a speech"

Yes I agree it's pretty whiny. Although he makes a valid point, the "hostage takers" speech was kind of terrible. Obama's not exactly Henry Clay here.

Comment

I also agree that the speech was dismal.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
                              Cluster****.

Pre-emptively compromise (before negotiations even begin)? Check. Standard operating proceedure from Barack at this point.
                              Fail to get the buy-in of your own party? Check.
                              Whine about your base? Check.

Not long ago, Obama apparently understood he wasn't Congress. He largely left things to the Congressional leadership to handle. I can only assume he feels burned by this and figured he'd do an end-around (largely on his own party). They, apparently, did not appreciate it.

-Arrian
                              This really is Carter-like levels of legislative incompetence (at least on this issue).
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Another carter analogy to add to the list I guess. It's getting long.

Comment

Working...
                                X