Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Krugman only worry about the deficit when it's caused by taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Krugman only worry about the deficit when it's caused by taxes?

Didn't Krugman say that we needed to spend more and more and more and run up debt more and more and more?

Why's he suddenly opposed to tax cuts? The multiplier on cuts has got to be a lot more than spending at this point.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

It seems like some of the people who advocate Keynesian policies are trying to advocate redistribution of wealth without getting into the same tired arguments over whether rich people are entitled to their toys.

Comment

Who is Krugman and why do we care?

I'm going to assume he's a democrat because you don't like him.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

He's definitely a liberal. But I've never seen HC make a good case against him.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Isn't the fact that he's a liberal enough?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

One thing I will say is that the Bush tax cut extension is the worst possible solution regardless of which side is right.

The republicans claim that keeping the tax cuts will give businesses more funds to hire more people. The only reason that they haven't been with the current tax cuts is because they were afraid that the cuts would expire in 2011. Now, with the two year extension, they can still not hire people, arguing that they need to wait until 2013 to see if the tax cuts will expire or not.

The democrats simply say that the tax have done little and will continue to do for the job market, and are additionally harmful in a high deficit, recession economy.

For either side, this extension is just a continuation of the status quo, which has not improved the job market or reduced the deficit.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              Isn't the fact that he's a liberal enough?
              For HC, yes. For the rest of the thinking world, no.
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Why do you worry about what Krugman says?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  Who is Krugman and why do we care?

I'm going to assume he's a democrat because you don't like him.
                  Let's be fair here, you could also assume he's a brown person or Julian Assange's half brother. HC's has a diversity of dislikes.

Comment

According to people at the economist and the CBO, the tax cuts to the rich is a much much lower multiplier than other stimulus.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Anybody who claims to be able to make definitive statements about the relative size of fiscal multipliers on various budgetary proposals is either ignorant or intellectually dishonest about the empirical justification behind his model.

And yes, I'm including Doug elmendorf
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV View Post
                        Let's be fair here, you could also assume he's a brown person or Julian Assange's half brother. HC's has a diversity of dislikes.
                        So let me get this straight--you think I'm racist and believe in guilt by association?

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          It seems like some of the people who advocate Keynesian policies are trying to advocate redistribution of wealth without getting into the same tired arguments over whether rich people are entitled to their toys.
                          So the government not taking your money is an entitlement. I guess it's just vocab/semantics. But I see this whole "rich people don't need their money" thing as class warfare.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            Why do you worry about what Krugman says?
                            I used to think what he said was smart and logical, even though I disagreed with it. Lately (over the last few months) he just seems like a noisy whiner.

Comment

Snooze.

Desert arguments are ****ing boring
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X