No announcement yet.

Living in Cambodia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it sounds like seeker has worked hard, saved up, and is now enjoying the fruits of his labours in cambodia. he's got three businesses, he's employing people. it's quite inspiring and something to be admired IMO. not degraded with empty headed comments, like 'dood wat you doin' in the 3rd world, they are like poor people there y'know'.

just because you think it sounds the same doesn't make it so. if you want to learn the differences the best way is really to listen to stuff. try listening to the albums motörhead - motörhead and the stranglers - rattus norvegicus. two british bands, two debut albums from the same year. you probably won't enjoy it, but you might just learn something.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Hey! My comment consisted of an important question that we'd all like answered!
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
        I must say, I do not understand the compulsion to live in the third world?
        Everything is cheap and you can feel like royalty. And the cheapness of stuff allows you to become an entrepreneur with the capital you have saved, something harder to do in the first world.

My mother just returned from an Adventist retreat in the countryside to stop her smoking addiction, she liked it so much that she wants to sell her house and buy land there.
        I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          What's the difference between rap and hip-hop?

Rap would be the specific act of reciting rhymed lyrics over music, which can be done over any sort of music, not just hip hop music.

Hip Hop music also doesn't need to have rap over it; it can just be instrumental music.

Hip Hop is also a term used to characterize an entire artistic movement that encompasses more than just music but also dance (breakdancing, etc.), visual arts (graffiti art), etc. In that case, rap would be a subset of Hip Hop. Think of it like how Dadaism encompassed more than just visual arts.

I'm not sure why you asked me that. Does Punk Rock and Heavy Metal have a similar relationship?
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
            Everything is cheap and you can feel like royalty. And the cheapness of stuff allows you to become an entrepreneur with the capital you have saved, something harder to do in the first world.

My mother just returned from an Adventist retreat in the countryside to stop her smoking addiction, she liked it so much that she wants to sell her house and buy land there.
            It's very different visiting somewhere and living somewhere. I've seen the third world and I certainly wouldn't fancy living there...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I'm not sure why you asked me that. Does Punk Rock and Heavy Metal have a similar relationship?
              no.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                no.
                So why did Asher ask me that then? It struck me as he was implying an analogous relationship like "What is the difference between A and B? Answer: What is the difference between C and D?
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Now I've got "Living In America" in my head. Nertz.

Re:OP, sounds like a colorful existence. My wife's best friend is Khmai (sp?), as it happens.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

edit: in fact lets stop this thread jack right here.

albert if you really want to know ask in the music thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                      It's very different visiting somewhere and living somewhere. I've seen the third world and I certainly wouldn't fancy living there...
                      I live in the third world

What I meant with my mother's example is moving to a more rural thirdworldish place instead of a 13 million people city.

I have relatives who moved to the fronteer of Argentina with Paraguay, I don't even want to think of all the trafficked things that must go through his ranch. All you need is a boat to get to Paraguay from his ranch.
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

One of the marks of most 3rd World countries is rampant inequality. In that thread with the Swedish gapminder economist, he broke down how parts of China have European-like affluence while others are more like Ghana. Buenos Aires probably has its ghettoes but overall, it's probably a lot more affluent than rural Argentina.

Comment

Yeah, but the bugs could prove to be a major PITA.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Actually when I meant third world I wasn't even thinking of places like Argentina, Mexico and Brazil which can have an affluent lifestyle providing you are in the right section of society (again major inequality exists). But Cambodia...what is there? Is it possible to even have an affluent lifestyle comparable to that you'd lead in the west?
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Perhaps some rice tycoons ??

It would be nice it Seeker told us more about Cambodia
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                One of the marks of most 3rd World countries is rampant inequality. In that thread with the Swedish gapminder economist, he broke down how parts of China have European-like affluence while others are more like Ghana. Buenos Aires probably has its ghettoes but overall, it's probably a lot more affluent than rural Argentina.
                                It depends on the area, in the central provinces of the country with temperate weather the land is great and farmers are loaded with money

Near Paraguay it is almost a different country
                                I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                                X