Living in Cambodia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in Cambodia

After 8 years in Korea, I sold all my gold and silver (bought in 2007-8) and now I've bought:

a) A large poultry farm near Kampot, Cambodia, 1.5 hours from the sea by boat. Don't call it a Chicken Farm, as the english-speaking girl I was trying to hire informed that is a local term for a Grade "F" whorehouse.

b) A paintball range business, locally known as 'Gotcha!' and a popular game for young Khmers with money (there are lots; there are just lots more poor)

c) A fish farm for eels.

What an adventure! Beats working for The Man. I now have a squad of real workers and some tenant-farmers who seem to exist only to smoke, eat, and excrete. The most difficult things were not financial, but personality-related.

I needed local managers/overseers/whatevers for the different businesses, and the most important, my representative/agent/'face' who can lie for me and make sure no one knows it's a 'farang' (foreigner) buying the feed/land/whatever. She saves me from paying x10 for everything and basically makes everything possible.

Fun stuff:
    -small children with M-16s
    -kids on motorbikes.
    -giant leeches
    -****ing blasting karaoke in the middle of the jungle!!
    -Crazy people
    -A bat**** insane neighbour with his Vietnam surplus jeep and machine guns.

It's certainly been a real adventure!!
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

wow, nice one seeker, sounds like a real adventure.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

In the jungle, the mighty jungle...

Sounds nice
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

It's a holiday in Cambodia...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

AlPie will not have hear of the Dead Kennedies neither...
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

How long until you start selling child brides?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

After that his ideas, methods have become... unsound.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I must say, I do not understand the compulsion to live in the third world?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                  After 8 years in Korea, I sold all my gold and silver (bought in 2007-8) and now I've bought:

a) A large poultry farm near Kampot, Cambodia, 1.5 hours from the sea by boat. Don't call it a Chicken Farm, as the english-speaking girl I was trying to hire informed that is a local term for a Grade "F" whorehouse.

b) A paintball range business, locally known as 'Gotcha!' and a popular game for young Khmers with money (there are lots; there are just lots more poor)

c) A fish farm for eels.

What an adventure! Beats working for The Man. I now have a squad of real workers and some tenant-farmers who seem to exist only to smoke, eat, and excrete. The most difficult things were not financial, but personality-related.

I needed local managers/overseers/whatevers for the different businesses, and the most important, my representative/agent/'face' who can lie for me and make sure no one knows it's a 'farang' (foreigner) buying the feed/land/whatever. She saves me from paying x10 for everything and basically makes everything possible.

Fun stuff:
                  -small children with M-16s
                  -kids on motorbikes.
                  -giant leeches
                  -****ing blasting karaoke in the middle of the jungle!!
                  -Crazy people
                  -A bat**** insane neighbour with his Vietnam surplus jeep and machine guns.

It's certainly been a real adventure!!
                  Assuming it's not a joke,

Post pics please.
                  Last edited by SpencerH; December 6, 2010, 18:45. Reason: mind your frigging business
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    I must say, I do not understand the compulsion to live in the third world?
                    Yeah what the **** is going on? I criticized Aeson about it, though I kind of regret it since Aeson has been cool. Who the **** wants to live in a poverty-stricken hell-hole? Like I get you'd probably live like a relative king (though a lot worse than you would in the civilized world) but that just sounds like it'll make you a target to all the kids with assault rifles and what not.

Like you know how badly these people in these countries want to live in America? And we got people moving over there?! ****.
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                      AlPie will not have hear of the Dead Kennedies neither...
                      I think Thoth posted them in the music thread. Are they some crazy loud screeching heavy metal punk rock stuff? I can't stand music like that.
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

yes albert, instead of owning businesses, employing others and generally being successful, people could be sitting on their lazy arses, playing games and masturbating, unemployed in a ****hole like philly. you are a narrow minded and ridiculous man.

and as if that wasn't enough, heavy metal and punk rock are not interchangeable terms.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                          After that his ideas, methods have become... unsound.

Is this what you intended to type?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                            yes albert, instead of owning businesses, employing others and generally being successful, people could be sitting on their lazy arses, playing games and masturbating, unemployed in a ****hole like philly. you are a narrow minded and ridiculous man.

and as if that wasn't enough, heavy metal and punk rock are not interchangeable terms.
                            Well you're in Brazil which ranks quite a bit higher in my book than Cambodia.

And what's the difference between heavy metal and punk rock? It all sounds the same to me.

Comment

What's the difference between rap and hip-hop?
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X