Recommend me a city in North America.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a city in North America.

UPDATE: see page 2 immediately after reading this post.

If I ever decide to emigrate and my German won't be good enough to settle down in Germany or Austria, I'll have to move to the US or Canada (UK sucks).
    I should research my options beforehand, so here's what I'm looking for:
    a city - I'm a Moscow boy, got to have people around me
    with good public transport - I don't enjoy driving, because I'm bad at dynamic equilibrii
    and low crime urban neighbourhoods - don't want my kids to get mugged

I've narrowed the list down to NY, San Fran and Vancouver, but perhaps I've missed a city or two? All of these sound a bit too expensive.

PS This is completely unrelated to the latest WikiLeaks cable leak :wiglaf:
    Last edited by onodera; August 10, 2011, 10:38.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

SF has crap for public transit.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I doubt you can afford to live in an area of NY where you kids won't get mugged.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

1. city
        2. good transit
        3. low crime

These are your major requirements? Pretty vague.

#2 will probably be the tough one if you are looking at NA.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Boston? Don't know about the crime situation, but the climate's distressingly cold so that should appeal to you. Lots of nice colleges for the kids. The Boston T works all right AFAICT. It doesn't have D.C.'s convoluted pricing system and it doesn't seem to be made out of recycled scrap like Manhattan's.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Here's a list of U.S. cities with high public transport ridership- I'm assuming that places with better public transport will generally have more people using it
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nsit_ridership

Info on crime rates in U.S. cities with at least 250,000 people:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

Maybe Boston? edit: crosspost

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
              Here's a list of U.S. cities with high public transport ridership- I'm assuming that places with better public transport will generally have more people using it
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nsit_ridership

Info on crime rates in U.S. cities with at least 250,000 people:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

Maybe Boston? edit: crosspost
              Your assumption that places with better public transit will generally have more people using it is flawed on so many levels since it ignores the lack of competition in city transit services, rates of poverty or just car-ownership in cities, traffic and road congestion, distribution of jobs (really relevant for Jersey City), etc.

Philly is #6 and I can tell you right now, the Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority is beyond terrible and also is the most expensive public transit service in the country at $2/one-way bus ride, not to mention the fact that it is only $2 and not $3 or $4 because SEPTA received massive state subsidies when they threatened to raise fares, something which the city and state governments felt would have left thousands of students and workers unable to afford to travel to school or their jobs.

Consider that in Philadelphia, 22.9% of the population is below the poverty line. The fact that 26.43% of the city's population takes public transit should not therefore be surprising.
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I hear Newark has a large Russian community.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  Your assumption that places with better public transit will generally have more people using it is flawed on so many levels since it ignores the lack of competition in city transit services, rates of poverty or just car-ownership in cities, traffic and road congestion, distribution of jobs (really relevant for Jersey City), etc.

Philly is #6 and I can tell you right now, the Southeast Pennsylvania Transit Authority is beyond terrible and also is the most expensive public transit service in the country at $2/one-way bus ride, not to mention the fact that it is only $2 and not $3 or $4 because SEPTA received massive state subsidies when they threatened to raise fares, something which the city and state governments felt would have left thousands of students and workers unable to afford to travel to school or their jobs.

Consider that in Philadelphia, 22.9% of the population is below the poverty line. The fact that 26.43% of the city's population takes public transit should not therefore be surprising.
                  I think mass transit rates are a good starting point. Obviously it's a good idea to avoid **** holes like Philly.

Actually by taking crime rates into account I think you could easily eliminate the cities who only have high mass transit rates because people are too poor to drive.

Comment

Not Dallas.

Comment

Yeah, avoid Texas entirely if you want decent mass transit.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                        I hear Newark has a large Russian community.
                        Guess what? **** Russian community. If I wanted one, I'd move to Brighton Beach.

Comment

What's Toronto like?
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                            ...(UK sucks)...
                            Says the Russian
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                              Says the Russian
                              Yep, London = Moscow and everything else is a village.

Comment

Working...
                              X