No announcement yet.

Teen girl arrested for burning Koran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do wish the current government would repeal these stupid f**king laws that our previous politically-correct, autocratic Labour dictators saw fit to dictate. It is because of this kind of politically correct bullsh*t that the current government is in power (well, one of many reasons).

Who gives a sh*t from a philosophical perspective if someone burns a book? The only concerns should be based around those which are environmental, health and safety...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Exactly, burning religious books is a carbon neutral act, assuming you're using them for fuel.
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
        If he was right, a firm in New York would have received an interesting email.
        And nobody there would have cared, you twit...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
          Exactly, burning religious books is a carbon neutral act, assuming you're using them for fuel.
          Burning literature of any kind, up to and including Mein Kampf, is a jackass, ignorant thing to do.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

What if you had an iPad or some such device, downloaded The Bible onto it, and then burnt it. Would this also count?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I don't even want to know what kind of toxic materials are found inside an iPad. Burning one would be unwise and irresponsible. However, as no actual book is destroyed, just an expensive gadget, I don't feel quite the same horror, no. It's not the destruction of stored knowledge, just the destruction of some thingy Steve Jobs wants you to buy. I haven't constructed any grand moral theory here, but that makes a difference in my, uh, book.
              1011 1100

Comment

But the concept is, in fact, the same. Environmental issues aside...
                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Yeah, well, I like books and I don't like Apple gadgets, so bite me.
                  1011 1100

Comment

Well maybe the iPad was a bad example...I don't like Apple either. Let's say it was a Kindle instead eh?
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Hmm. Come to think of it, both of those devices have a reasonably high dollar value, so burning either one would seem to be a foolish decision. I feel worse about the Kindle because it's designed specifically to read books, whereas I understand the iPad uses "apps" to do douchebag things like "tweeting." But I'm not clear on what all these newfangled gewgaws do, being fairly luddite at heart. I don't even own a cell phone, if you can imagine.
                      1011 1100

Comment

I downloaded the Koran, and deleted it. HA!

No-one found out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post

No-one found out.
                          Is that stealing? No one is receiving money so it must be.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            European? You mean like the Brits who just arrested the firebrand in the OP (she's not actually from/in Oregon; AFAIK our limits on free speech in the context of stupid protester stunts are all but nonexistent)?
                            The introduction of a speech aspect can't make an illegal act legal (e.g., no burning puppies to protest increased bus fares), but other than that, you're pretty much right.
                            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post

No-one found out.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                                Burning literature of any kind, up to and including Mein Kampf, is a jackass, ignorant thing to do.
                                Not if you're freezing your tits off and it's the only source of fuel available.

Though you are right, religious books should be kept for posterity so you can point and laugh at the backwards beliefs of gullible people and make sure you don't make the same mistake yourself.

Or as doorstops...

Maybe we could come up with a list: 101 uses for a dead bible...?
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X