Eric Holder pwnd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
    The "face" of the people pushing for civilian trials for Gitmo detainees in the Obama admin.
    What a reprehensible concept, putting non-military people to trial in non-military courts. I hope he gets what he deserves.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
      Do they all look alike to you?
      Most of them.
      Blah

Comment

It is ze moustache !
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          What a reprehensible concept, putting non-military people to trial in non-military courts. I hope he gets what he deserves.
          Paranoia not withstanding, the process of discovery in criminal proceedings does not lend itself well to ongoing attemtps to ferret out future attempts of terrorism. Although these people are technically not state sanctioned military, the parralels in training techniques and commonality of purpose warrant a different approach, such as any of the three previously afforded techniques recommended by congress.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

It's convenient to label them "official" combatants in some way when it comes to punishing them but "unofficial" when it comes to the rights granted combatants under international treaties.

Sucking and blowing.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
              Paranoia not withstanding, the process of discovery in criminal proceedings does not lend itself well to ongoing attemtps to ferret out future attempts of terrorism. Although these people are technically not state sanctioned military, the parralels in training techniques and commonality of purpose warrant a different approach, such as any of the three previously afforded techniques recommended by congress.
              It makes no sense at all to put them infront of a military court. They're not subject to military law, nor protections (see gitmo).

They are civilians and are subject to a civilian court. If terrorism cases do not work under current systems, then feel free to introduce reforms. The current military tribunal system is a farce, an embarrassment, and a clear attempt to ensure convictions rather than deliver justice. To many Americans, these are the same as the people are presumed guilty, so a sentence is justice.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What Happens If a 9/11 Terrorist Defendant is Found Not Guilty?
                I'd think we let them go, but apparently the prez can simply order them held anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                  It's convenient to label them "official" combatants in some way when it comes to punishing them but "unofficial" when it comes to the rights granted combatants under international treaties.

Sucking and blowing.
                  Truth. We've already screwed the pooch by treating them as "enemy combatants" instead of troops in terms of detaining them and the rights we afford them.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                  X