The ethical argument against PETA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ethical argument against PETA.

I had an epiphany during a discussion with a friend today. The PETA people I know a big proponents of Veganism. But what would happen if PETA got it's way, and everyone was suddenly a Vegan? PETA would lose, the animals would lose, and we would lose.

The reasoning goes like this: People rear animals because there is a market for these animals. Let's look at cattle. There are huge swaths of land (one ranch in texas is bigger than Rhode Island) dedicated to cattle ranching, with the proceeds of this endeavor providing economic viability to the cattle being on the land. If people no longer wanted the meat, the market would vanish. Ranchers could no longer afford the land or caring for the cattle. In all likelyhood, there would be a mass genocide of cattle. That's 16 million cattle in Texas, ~100 million in the US, and 1.6 BILLION world wide. It would be the single worst ecological disaster in the history of mankind. While I realize it is unrealistic for this to happen overnight, the end result is the about the same whether it is instant or transpires over time.

In contrast, what is the current state? From my experience, it is not, for the most part, factory farms as PETA claims. It's Cows wandering around on land, eating, having sex, being cared for, and protected from predators. 99.9% of a cow's life is pretty amazing.

So I ask you, which is the more ethical way to go?
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Yeah it's like if people didn't view Africans as animals/property a few centuries ago then they'd still all be back in their third world dumps. Hence, opposing slavery is unethical

Comment

Getting rid of cattle would reduce green house gases.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
        Getting rid of cattle would reduce green house gases.
        QT
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

haha... wow. Really, the slavery card? Well that makes perfect sense. I guess as soon as we stop eating the cows, they'll stand up, go to college and get good jobs. Bravo for the astute parallel, sir!
          "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Wow...wtf kaak is back on Apolyton? Did you check out Civ5?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie View Post
              Yeah it's like if people didn't view Africans as animals/property a few centuries ago then they'd still all be back in their third world dumps. Hence, opposing slavery is unethical
              Yes, someone should have told the African Kings and tribes that slavery was a bad thing so that they didn't sell their own people and transport them to the coast so white slave traders could purchase them.

Comment

Hey Eyes, I pop in from time to time. How ya been? Nope, no Civ5 yet. Tragically, I work, go to school, and have a girlfriend that is pretty demanding of my time. There isn't a lot left over.

Comment

Civ5 is the worst game ever. I downloaded it and lost interest after a couple hours. MP is so bad that everyone has quit it. I'm glad I never bothered with the game. It's quite possibly the end of the franchise. Do you use ICQ still?

Comment

I sometimes wonder what happens on a PETA-approved farm. When all the bugs and rodents and sundry vermin show up to eat the crops, are they relocated, or do they plant twice as much as needed and powder the crops with a special rat-and-bug-only contraceptive to keep things in order?
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I figured as much. They made the wrong turns with civ3, so the chances that they would go back and fix them were always marginal. I don't use ICQ any more. Just add me on facebook

Comment

I don't use facebook and I refuse to. I hate it. You use any instant messaging software?

Comment

nope. facebook and iphone. Not on the computer much outside of work.

Comment

Well, pick one. Facebook is a huge security risk btw. I'll never understand how people can put themselves in such a position on the internet.

Comment

India actually has the world's largest cattle population, and they don't eat them. Some roam free, some are still used as beasts of burden, others are used for milk, so going Vegan doesn't necessarily mean eradicating the cow.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X