Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaming industry moving into the wrong direction???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like they can make money on the hardware too though.

If you were to go shopping for all the constituent parts of Microsoft's Kinect peripheral you'd land up with a bill for…
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Kinect has a lot of potential.
      What I would like most, is to see FPSs use it for headtracking which would create great 3D experience without the need of special glasses or displays. Unfortunately it's going to be from the perspective of one person only, but that would be more than enough. Also this will be very easy to implement.
      Quendelie axan!

Comment

More than enough? So enough would be from the perspective of zero people? Which is what they have.
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

if you do head tracking the 3D experience for the one person which(whose ?) head you are tracking will be great. Since there is only one person playing a FPS at any given time this is enough.
          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            Here's an awesome video showing what Kinect "sees"

I wonder why they didn't give it another camera so it could see better?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
              if you do head tracking the 3D experience for the one person which(whose ?) head you are tracking will be great. Since there is only one person playing a FPS at any given time this is enough.
              but not more than enough.

And MP FPS FTW!
              We've got both kinds

Comment

There will be no issues with MP (lan, internet, etc.). The only problem wil be with split screen MP which is quite rare for FPS as far as I know.

If somebody is sitting next to you and is watching your monitor while you are playing they will see some screwed up perspective, because the game is drawing what you need to see to have the best 3D experience.

See here what I mean by head tracking, and what the effect will be like:
                Last edited by Sir Og; November 17, 2010, 03:47.
                Quendelie axan!

Comment

Ah, so when Nintendo does motion capture it is a gimmick. When Microsoft does it, it is the wave of the future...

30 Years Ago....

Asher - Pssh, Apple is a joke company. Their "mouse" is just a silly gimmick. Any serious users only need dos. Look at their sales, this mouse thing is just a fad, just you wait.

Later...

Asher - Microsoft has revolutionized computing, Windows is amazing!
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    I hate multitouch. My laptop has it and it's freaking annoying.
                    Uh, no it doesn't.

A trackpad that supports dual touch is not really a multitouch surface... It's a gesturable surface marketed in the loosest terms as multitouch.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                      Kinect has a lot of potential.
                      What I would like most, is to see FPSs use it for headtracking which would create great 3D experience without the need of special glasses or displays. Unfortunately it's going to be from the perspective of one person only, but that would be more than enough. Also this will be very easy to implement.
                      Gears of War 3 is supposedly going to use Kinect in some fashion. Will be demoed next month.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                        Ah, so when Nintendo does motion capture it is a gimmick. When Microsoft does it, it is the wave of the future...
                        Are you ****ing retarded? Wait, don't answer that, you wear cheap fitting suits and talk up why kids should pay income taxes at 13.

This isn't motion control. And no, Nintendo was FAR from the first company to use IR + gyroscopes. They're the first company to use it and apply it to CONSOLE GAMING, but considering we're talking about 3D IMAGING as a general-computing interface, this is not even in the same league.

Asher - Pssh, Apple is a joke company. Their "mouse" is just a silly gimmick. Any serious users only need dos. Look at their sales, this mouse thing is just a fad, just you wait.
                        If only Apple invented the mouse.

Educate yourself, Ozzy. I'm tired of schooling you.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          I wonder why they didn't give it another camera so it could see better?
                          Huh?

Comment

BTW, if Nintendo implemented these kinds of controls for the computer, they'd give you a cheap piece of plastic to hold in your hand.

Directions for manipulating several photos on the screen at once (akin to the kinect video above):
                            1) Waggle once to single click
                            2) Waggle twice to double click
                            3) Waggle three times to enable dual-stick mode
                            3a) Waggle once with the 2nd stick to start moving it
                            3b) Utilize the relative motion of your hands to select photos and move them around, disregarding the fact that there is no 1:1 mapping between your motion and how the pictures move
                            4) Waggle to **** yourself

Comment

Asher is right.

Nintendo achieved such huge sales by targeting non-traditional gamers as their markets.

I don't think anyone would disagree that they did that brilliantly well. They marketed it really brilliantly and the concept of including a game with the console, and the choice of that game was inspired. It was easy to play, anyone from 5 to 85 could play it, and they could play competitively against each other. It created a shared experience. Virtually everyone who's ever played a Wii has played Wii Sports.

As time has gone on many of those new gamers either lost interest either because the novelty wore off or because the software library for the Wii has been so woefully average (aside from a few really great games), or they moved onto more demanding consoles.

But Nintendo have NEVER been a technology pioneering company. They've always been brilliant at finding new ways to use existing technology for gaming once it was established and became cheap. eg. the old LCD game and watch games, came about after the digital watches had been around for years. The Wii was absolutely the same. There are many interviews with nintendo execs explaining how they didn't want to compete on technology with PS3 or 360 but to come in at a lower price point.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                                Huh?
                                It can only show half of an object. Maybe it could show a bit more if it had another camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X