Fiscal Commission Co-Chair recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiscal Commission Co-Chair recommendations

Seems to me there's lots for everyone to hate in there. I like the basics of the tax reform (simplify, cut rates in exchange for reducing deductions). I like that they advocate cuts to both guns and butter. On the other hand, I find their "plan" for reducing long-term healthcare costs to be, well, awfully vague. And that's the #1 problem.

Hopefully, this results in some sort of productive debate and compromise. Yeah, right, who am I kidding?

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

I actually like the debt commission findings for the most part. I think they were too light on the entitlements, but I am in love with the tax cuts. The corporate tax cut is going to make us very very competitive. You'll need everything controlled by Republicans to get it through though, and even then it probably won't get through since not every Republican is actually a fiscal conservative. They probably won't fix the deficit until it comes to a breaking point, and by then it will be too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
      http://www.fiscalcommission.gov/site...hair_Draft.pdf

Seems to me there's lots for everyone to hate in there. I like the basics of the tax reform (simplify, cut rates in exchange for reducing deductions). I like that they advocate cuts to both guns and butter. On the other hand, I find their "plan" for reducing long-term healthcare costs to be, well, awfully vague. And that's the #1 problem.

Hopefully, this results in some sort of productive debate and compromise. Yeah, right, who am I kidding?

-Arrian
      In favor of everything in there, basically.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Ditto, although I though think that they should raise the retirement age much more than two years.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Ok, so I'm in, KH is in, Dan is in... hell, even Drix seems to be in.

Ergo, it's DOA, right?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yep.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Yeah. I bet the Dems will scream loudest, btw
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

We already have hacks like Krugman and pelosi yelling bloody murder
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Argh. Didn't notice that they want to increase capital gains taxation

Dumbest tax ever.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I've seen some howling from the Right as well. But perhaps the Left will howl more. More of their sacred cows are being sacrificed here.

Explain to me why it's horrible to tax capital gains. Or explain to me why capital gains isn't simply taxed as income.

-Arrian

Comment

Some right-wing screaming:

UPDATE: h/t to Jim Pethokoukis of Reuters who pointed out via Twittter that the commission's tax plan treats capital gains as ordinary income, which would put the capital gains rate well into the 20s from today's 15 percent. Today, President Obama’s Simpson-Bowles debt commission chairmen released a preliminary report.  It confirms what everyone has known—this […]

I don't really care who screams the most. I do care that something that at least resembles this gets done.

-Arrian

Comment

Because it creates a distortion at the investment/consumption frontier and does not improve intelligent measures of equality.

If Adam and Bob are both 26 year old MDs who will each earn the same amount every year of their lives, but Adam spends all of his income while Bob saves 20% of his income to fund a better retirement then Bob will pay much more to the government in taxes.

Retirement accounts remove the distortion for small amounts of saving for a specific purpose, which is an odd compromise
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think this thread should be changed to "What would it take to get the Fiscal Commission recommendations passed?"

Also, I agree that capital gains taxes suck. I didn't know it was in there, but I think all the other good stuff outweighs the bad at this point. I also think they should take cuts in entitlements further.

Comment

So basically you think taxing capital gains at a rate lower than taxation of income is good because it encourages an outcome you think is good (and I agree that outcome is good, being a saver myself). Isn't that just one more example of social engineering via the tax code?

Also, Bob's retirement will presumably involve spending (at least some of) what he's saved up. Adam will be forced into at least some frugality in his twilight years.

Adam's spending pumps money into the economy, so that the businesses in which Bob invests can make money, no?

-Arrian

Comment

I think this thread should be changed to "What would it take to get the Fiscal Commission recommendations passed?"
                              Similar conditions existed in the mid-80s and mid-90s when reform efforts succeeded. Those were more modest, I suppose, but the pattern is there.

Gah. I have to avoid getting my hopes up.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X