I'm not buying Civ 5 because

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not buying Civ 5 because

I'm doing an MSc for a year and don't want to be playing something that might* munch hours, days, weeks and more of my time.

Is this thread in the wrong forum?

* If it's any good, which it might not be. In fact, were I not in possession of a very valid reason for not being tempted to buy it, I might be inclined to not buy it on the grounds of (a) the pre-sales guff didn't really appeal to me, and (b) the post-sales whinging. These points are not relevant to this thread though. If they were, it should probably be in another forum.

Oh, and before anyone suggests that I'm wasting much time on here - I'm not. Just popping in for a bit of light-hearted banter.

Comment

I bought Civ 5. I paid over my hard earned. I went home with an eager sense of anticipation to load on my trusty old computer and that where this little fairy tale ends.

I was commanded to instal this hitherto unheard of thing called Steam. I obediently did so and completed the installation in in accordance with the dictates of the installation instructions whilst how this Civ 5 game was finding its way on to my computer. I later try to play this game only to learn that I do not have Civ5. I have some (very unwanted) software that permits me to download Civ5 from the internet. My home computer is not connected to the internet. Every time I start my computer a Steam thingy asks me if I wish to connect to the internet. I have yet to find a way to make this Steam thingy depart from my computer. (I went into "My Computer" and deleted it and yet it is still bugging me.

There was no warning on the package. I won't be playing Civ5 and I will not trust Firaxis again. I expected a game to be on the disc I paid monery for.

Comment

The installation wasn't on the disc?! That's a bit off...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by peterfharris View Post
          I bought Civ 5. I paid over my hard earned. I went home with an eager sense of anticipation to load on my trusty old computer and that where this little fairy tale ends.

I was commanded to instal this hitherto unheard of thing called Steam. I obediently did so and completed the installation in in accordance with the dictates of the installation instructions whilst how this Civ 5 game was finding its way on to my computer. I later try to play this game only to learn that I do not have Civ5. I have some (very unwanted) software that permits me to download Civ5 from the internet. My home computer is not connected to the internet. Every time I start my computer a Steam thingy asks me if I wish to connect to the internet. I have yet to find a way to make this Steam thingy depart from my computer. (I went into "My Computer" and deleted it and yet it is still bugging me.

There was no warning on the package. I won't be playing Civ5 and I will not trust Firaxis again. I expected a game to be on the disc I paid monery for.
          So you didn't read the requirements on the box that clearly stated an internet connection was required? Your bad.

You don't pay for a disc when you buy a game, you pay for a license from the software companies to install and play the game on your computer.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

No. I didn't read the fine print. Didn't even see that bit.

When I buy a disc I expect the game to be on it.

When I buy a loaf of at bread at the shop I expect to get the loaf of bread. I don't expect to be given a road map and instructions telling me to pick up the loaf of bread from some place on the other side of town.

In future I shall have to take great care to read all of the fine print on the stupid box.

Comment

This issue aside, I am surprised there is someone (especially somewhere like Australia) who doesn't have an internet connection!
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Especially one who has 367 posts...
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                  This issue aside, I am surprised there is someone (especially somewhere like Australia) who doesn't have an internet connection!
                  We can be very backward here in the colonies.

Anyway, continuing my rant... I want the game on my disc so I can play it for as long as I please. If the guts of it is on some internet server I would be effectively renting the game. If Steam or Firaxis stops supporting the game that is the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    You know, good point...I didn't think of it from that angle
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      I have a computer at work and a connection and had such for the 11 years since I joined this site.

Comment

Luddites shouldn't play computer games.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                          Luddites shouldn't play computer games.
                          We Luddites like computer games.

Comment

I asked at the sori-sori store and they said sorry, no civ 5.

Comment

No. I didn't read the fine print. Didn't even see that bit.

When I buy a disc I expect the game to be on it.

When I buy a loaf of at bread at the shop I expect to get the loaf of bread. I don't expect to be given a road map and instructions telling me to pick up the loaf of bread from some place on the other side of town.

In future I shall have to take great care to read all of the fine print on the stupid box.
                              Anyone who doesn't read the system requirements on the box for the game prior to purchase is an idiot. Do you frequently purchase Mac software by mistake?

If the guts of it is on some internet server I would be effectively renting the game. If Steam or Firaxis stops supporting the game that is the end of it.
                              That isn't how Steam works. The game is downloaded to your PC. Even if Firaxis were to disappear, Steam wouldn't and you could still play the game. Steam isn't going anywhere.

You don't have to be connected to the internet to play the game, you can disable that in Steam.

And how do you expect to get patches if you aren't connected to the internet?
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X