The stupid crap we see on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The stupid crap we see on TV

So, I'm up in Boston for the week, staying with my wife's in-laws. This family watches a lot more TV than I do, so I'm getting a lot of exposure to...whatever you call this:

-Madonna on "Ellen" this morning, comparing the bullying of gay teenagers in high school to first A. the lynching of black people and then B. the holocaust. Ellen did not even blink. Madonna then went on to make a mealymouthed speech about tolerance, which I agreed with the actual meaning of 100%. Yet I still wanted to walk up to her and punch her right in the ovaries at the end of it. Oh, how I loathe Hollywood Liberalism.

-Oprah interviewing Dubya. I only caught a glimpse of this, in which she she asked him, "If you could go back to the you of ten years ago, knowing everything you know now, what one thing would you tell yourself?" I thought instantly, "hmm...the obvious answer is 'I'd warn myself about 9/11 and save over 3,000 American lives.' But that would involve admitting error, so--" And sure enough, he says some rubbish about staying true to his principles. Oprah also interviewed Michael Jackson's mother, but I'm repressing that memory.

-The View. There seems to be some sort of hierarchy in the seating arrangements. Whoopi, the dominant female, talks the most and sits on the left, then Barbara Walters, then two people I don't recognize. The young, attractive woman, who clearly poses a threat to the others, is put at the bottom to show her her place. She obediently says little and never seems to do that talk-over-Whoopi thing she tolerates in the other two.

-House. Does he casually violate the law in every episode? Does he ever resort to actual medicine?

I guess this is why I don't watch much TV.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

House also has his cane on the wrong side. You're supposed to have the cane on the opposite side of the injured leg. That's why he limps along. Not much of a doctor.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think the view is great. It accurately portrays the ratio of liberals to conservatives in Hollywood and the news media in the US; three fat, ugly liberals screaming like a bunch of monkeys for every one attractive and calm conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        House also has his cane on the wrong side. You're supposed to have the cane on the opposite side of the injured leg.
        This doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Comment

Yes, it does. If your left leg is bad, your cane should be on the right side. It prevents limping. I was on crutches and cane for a year following a motorcycle accident, so don't try to argue with me on this one.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Actually it does. Think of the motion. If my right leg is injured, then as I go to step with my left foot all of my weight is on my right leg, the injured leg. If I keep the cane in my right hand, there is no way to take weight off of the leg as you need to lean to your left in order to relieve the weight. Therefore, you should put the cane in your left hand if the right leg is injured.

Comment

I was on crutches and cane for a year following a motorcycle accident

So you're clearly an idiot and none of us should be listening to your nonsensical ramblings about canes.

Comment

Yeah, I'm the one that's clearly an idiot.

You ALWAYS use the cane on the opposite side from the injury. If you use it on the same you can develop further problems in the muscles in your upper body from doing this. I had a client that was using it on the same side and she came in with pain in her shoulder and neck, not even for her disability. so, the first time i saw her I told her to use the cane on the other side, and with doing that and a few massage treatments she came to me for, she wasn't experiencing the shoulder/neck pain anymore.

And you always move the cane and the leg together. It gives you MUCH more stability...less chance of you falling. and make sure that someone who knows what they're doing sets it up for you correctly, ie. that it's the right height and the right type of cane for what you need.

Comment

Back on topic, I struggle when I find myself at someone else's house and being forced to watch horrendous crap on television. Even worse, they don't even mute the ****ing adverts.

What's the point of a mute button when you don't use it correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    -House. Does he casually violate the law in every episode? Does he ever resort to actual medicine?
                    Hospital procedure if he's not breaking the law. And yes, if you count incorrectly guessing the problem and treating for all the incorrect diagnoses before he stumbles on the correct answer. By which time the patient may or may not still be alive and/or treatable.
                    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      Yeah, I'm the one that's clearly an idiot.

http://www.mcrh.org/Canes/16897.htm
                      Quoting a rural health care site that looks like it was designed in 1995 doesn't exactly make you look intelligent.

Comment

You're just a troll, but: Walking with a cane

Hold the cane in the hand on your unaffected side so that it provides support to the opposite lower limb

Comment

If we're going to turn this into a retarded contest of non-authoritative linking...

Bear weight on the proper side. You should hold your cane on the same side of your body that your injury is on. If you are using the cane for general mobility rather than an injury, hold the cane using your dominant hand and bear weight on this side of your body. This will make the cane bear the majority of your weight, as well as the impact caused by your motion when walking.
                          Arm slings are commonly used to immobilize, support and protect the arm or shoulder following an injury to the shoulder, upper arm, forearm or wrist. Slings are available to buy in a range of shapes and fabrics, but it is relatively easy to make a temporary triangle-type arm sling using a square or rectangular piece ...

Comment

You'd have helped your cause a lot if you had read the comments on that ehow page before posting it. You should have kept searching for something better to suit your needs.

Comment

I think the fact that my site is actually advanced enough to support comments makes it superior to the two previous examples.

Comment

Working...
                              X