Learning Portuguese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Portuguese

Well OK, not really. Just a few words to get me by for my conference in Lisbon next week...

Hey C0ckney, I have to do a short presentation. Do you know any jokey Portuguese one-liners as a sort of opening ice breaker to get the audience on my side?
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Remember, Cockney. Only a bounder would give him the translation of "All of your mothers ingest the reproductive fluids of donkeys!" and pretend it's a example of gentle wit. Don't go there, OK?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Well, I am half expecting that kind of 'help'...

Comment

what sort of conference is it?
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It's a network of partners from 7 EU member states with European delta and estuarine regions concerned with sustainable delta governance. I have to come up with a quick something that addresses the following:

To discuss the ecological sustainability concern on Delta’s Master plans;

To discuss good practices on dealing with economic activities in environmentally sensitive areas;

To present examples of plans/programs for brownfields revitalization on Deltas (economic, ecological and urban planning perspectives)

It would be nice to say something cool and jokey to start proceedings!

Comment

try "todas as suas mães comem..."

sadly, i don't know any jokes about deltas or brownfield sites in portugues off the top of my head. however, you seem like a story kind of guy, so maybe something like this.

opa galeria!

acabo de chegar no portugal e acho que é um pais muito lindo. a gente é mutia simpatica e amigável, mas a lingua tá um pouco difícil para mim.

ontem fui à padaria para comprar pão [the "ão" is not an easy sound to make, say "pau" while holding your nose to get an idea of what it should sound like], falei com o padeiro "quero pau" disse,
            ele me olhou e disse "quer pau?"
            "sim" afirmei
            "quer pau, tá certo?"
            "com certeza [you might replace this with "certinho" but you risk making the audience think you're a bad boy from são paulo ], vim aqui para comprar pau, ouvi seu pau é o melhor da lisboa"

depois ele me perguntou partir a padaria...não sei porque...difícil
            translation

hello people!

i have just arrived in portugal and i think that it is a beautiful country. the people are very nice and friendly, but the language is a little difficult for me.

yesterday i went to the bakery to buy bread, i spoke to the baker and said "i want bread."

he looked at me and said "you want dick?"
            "yes" i affirmed
            "you want dick, are you sure?"
            "with certainty, i came here to buy dick, i heard that your dick is the best in lisbon."

then he asked me to leave the bakery...i don’t know why...(it is) difficult.

it's a nice little routine, it just pokes a bit of fun at the misunderstandings that can occur when speaking a different language, and everyone loves a dick joke . maybe it's a bit long, but it's fairly adaptable and with a bit of practise you should be able to pull it off.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

maybe it's a bit long, but it's fairly adaptable and with a bit of practise you should be able to pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                It's a network of partners from 7 EU member states with European delta and estuarine regions concerned with sustainable delta governance.
                Can't they speak English or something?

I have noticed that having a really nasty cold seems to help with speaking Portuguese
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

thanks aeson, i'm glad someone noticed my post knob joke, knob joke. comic genius, me.

Comment

Sorry C0ckney, yes it's very good, but a bit long - like my knob!

But I am seriously tempted to go to a baker's and ask for some bread!

Comment

Working...
                    X