Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should bosses be allowed to tell their employees to cut their hair and shave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress codes (rigid or lax) are just a signaling mechanism. It's not clear to me that they are or aren't efficient choices for one.

Comment

Speaking of which I need to shave and cut my hair tonight.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I have to admit that, more often than not, at work I'm sporting 'designer stubble'...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          So I'm the only one who believes that employers should enforce dress and grooming standards? What happened to places requiring a suit to work?
          Should? No, but that's not the question. I can't say whether a company should or shouldn't enforce any particular dress code--that's the company's call, and who am I to say otherwise?

They certainly *can* enforce a dress code, just like a private school can require a uniform. They can also specify other grooming and hygiene standards. Just so long as they don't run afoul of civil rights laws in either case, it's fine.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            If a person faces the customer/client then there should be some guidelines. If not, short of trollish there shouldn't be any guidelines.
            UGG SAYS DISCRIMINATION IS WRONG!
            "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
              Dress codes (rigid or lax) are just a signaling mechanism. It's not clear to me that they are or aren't efficient choices for one.
              I despise the way your mind works. Who thinks like this?
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                They certainly *can* enforce a dress code, just like a public school can require a uniform.
                Fixed. Where have you been? Philly public schools have had uniforms since around 2001 or so. I doubt we're the only city.
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                  Should? No, but that's not the question. I can't say whether a company should or shouldn't enforce any particular dress code--that's the company's call, and who am I to say otherwise?

They certainly *can* enforce a dress code, just like a private school can require a uniform. They can also specify other grooming and hygiene standards. Just so long as they don't run afoul of civil rights laws in either case, it's fine.
                  this is the answer.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                    I tend to think they're not efficient, given the wide variety of connotations that clothing can have.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I don't see how shaving or cutting hair helps someone do a desk job, but I don't really care if some employers require it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        I tend to think they're not efficient, given the wide variety of connotations that clothing can have.
                        So nudity?

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          I despise the way your mind works. Who thinks like this?
                          Anybody who aspires to rational decision-making.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I also find it interesting that albie "despises" analytical thought.

That must be why he relies on concepts like fairness, desert and justice.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Desert?
                              "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

He wants to be a marine and they've been fighting in deserts recently. Er...
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X