No announcement yet.

What is the evil in this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would give to the Slovenian hobo and not to the Sudanese one, the difference based entirely off of differing ethnicity.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      You would give to the Slovenian hobo and not to the Sudanese one, the difference based entirely off of differing ethnicity.
      No. Read again.

You seem to think this makes me give less to the Sudanese hobo than I would give If I didn't follow this ethical system. No it doesn't. It makes me give my son/daughter/neice/coethnic more than I would give the generic average hobo. Unless you live in a zero sum world I don't think you can argue everyone isn't better off by this.
      Anycase is someone is from South Africa or India is irelevant, what is relevant are their memes and genes.

I would give more to a second generation partially asimilated Sudanese hobo more than I would give a generic nonrelated human hobo.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Perhaps this will help you think.

I am childless. I give generic hobos 10$, the average hobo gets 10$.
        I use the rest to keep myself happy/fed/entertained/healthy so I can afford to give hobos 10$.

I have a child. The child becomes a hobo as a adult. I give him 50$, the generic hobo 10$ and the average hobo slightly above 10$ on average. I use the rest to keep myself happy/fed/entertained/healthy so I can earn the money I giving, I however need less than I needed before to fulfil these goals.

Sure perhaps I could give my child 100$, and the generic hobo some unspecified amount less. But this would be just following instincts, not my ethical system, actually it would be against it.
        Last edited by Heraclitus; October 9, 2010, 08:11.
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

What are you not understanding? If ethnicity plays ANY part in your decision making in how you decide to treat someone, you are being racist. Zero-sum or whatever the hell has nothing to do with it.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

What are you not understanding? If ethnicity plays ANY part in your decision making in how you decide to treat someone, you are being racist. Zero-sum or whatever the hell has nothing to do with it.
            I'm not arguing whether I am racist or not. "Where is the evil in this?" is the OP title after all is it not?

I'm arguing whether its ethical and optimal. I'm arguing that behaving the way described in post #33 is the best course of action. Sometimes behaving in a way that you could describe as racist is optimal from a pragmatic and depending on your ethical system even ethical perspective.

I don't box ethnicity or religion as something unique. Religion is a subcategory of ideologies. Ethnicity is a mix of agreeing with someone on the way you view the world and how related you are to them genetically and how emotionally you are attached to them. Basically being a coethnic or not is the same kind of slicing up reality as slicing up people as being siblings or not. A family category so to speak.

Also how zero sum relates to this should be blatantly obvious in #33.
            Last edited by Heraclitus; October 9, 2010, 08:27.

Comment

Anyone notice English people have weird jaws? I've been noticing that.
              That's one person, you dolt.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
                Given we Britons have emigrated all over the World, it is abit rich to not expect other peoples to do the same.

The logic of the man in the video, was pretty inbred. You get born, you get married you have far too many kids and you sell fish in the same crappy town. How dull and given that the numbers keep on going up...unsustainable.
                Ahh, but since the population keeps going up there are more people to sell fish to!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                  That's one person, you dolt.
                  I know it's just Yahoo Answers but I'm not the only one to notice:
                  http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081010210837AAJFeQK

Q: My friend's dentist just told her part of the reason her gums thinned because she had an English jaw. We did a few searches and the only results we came up with for English jaw were "English>Jaw" as in the definition of jaw in English. What exactly is an English jaw? What other types are there?
                  A: The lower jaw is more forward
                  I know it means nothing but apparently at least 3 people (the dentist, the answerer, and myself) have noticed an English jaw. Doesn't mean it actually exists... just that the perception exists.

Another:
                  I am interested in learning about common inherited features from certain groups of people - for instance, my mother used to tell me that I have an "english jaw"

Comment

Albert, do some traveling. Then you won't think Asian squat toilets are found in Holland or that one actor looks like everyone in England. Seriously, dude, you say some weird ****.

Comment

Originally posted by wambulance View Post
                      Be honest: how many brown people do you see on a day-to-day basis? And how many of those have taken your job or raped your sister?
                      I work with a Asian guy, I see about 2 blacks and 7 browns a day. Browns used to pick on me quite often as a child, once getting me in the hospital. Fortunately I learned soon afterwards to stick together with the other Slovenian kids (including a half-black self identified Slovenian kid).

I also fortunately got into a demanding High School so I could afford to be more trusting there.
                      Last edited by Heraclitus; October 9, 2010, 08:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                        I work with a Asian guy, I see about 2 blacks and 7 browns a day. Browns used to pick on me quite often as a child, once getting me in the hospital. Fortunately I learned soon afterwards to stick together with the other Slovenian kids (including a half-black self identified Slovenian kid).

I also fortunately got into a demanding High School so I could afford to be more trusting there.
                        Browns? What the **** are Browns?

Comment

Browns? What the **** are Browns?
                          He asked me about Brown people. People of about Barack Obama's complexion or slightly lighter. Its like asking about Redheads or Tall people, I took it as a purely physical description, no other connotation was implied by me. I can edit it if you think it carries unwelcome connotations and offends you.

The kids in question where Gypsies. If you have never seen Eastern European Roma they are similar in appearance to some Indians.
                          Last edited by Heraclitus; October 9, 2010, 09:07.

Comment

He asked me about Brown people. People of about Barack Obama's complexion or slightly lighter. Its like asking about Redheads or Tall people, I took it as a purely physical description, no other connotation was implied by me. I can edit it if you think it carries unwelcome connotations and offends you.

The kids in question where Gypsies. If you have never seen Eastern European Roma they are similar in appearance to some Indians.
                            No it's just weird because in America, we don't call people Browns. The Browns are a football team based in Cleveland.

Comment

Well, at least we have an explanation for why this guy is a racist twit.

Comment

No one has yet touched the utilitarian argument that I raise. Can we accept that yes Hera is a racist twit and then move on and discuss the ethical question?

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                                Well, at least we have an explanation for why this guy is a racist twit.
                                Being racist just because someone beat you up as a kid is retarded. I only brought it up because the guy asked about it and I prefer honesty.
                                Last edited by Heraclitus; October 9, 2010, 10:09.

Comment

Working...
                                X