Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another strange use of feminine gender in the English language.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onodera View Post
    Every student of English learns sooner or later that ships should be referred to as "she", even if her name is Dwight Eisenhower. Every language has some funny quirks, of course.
    But when reading Moby Dick I encountered another case of using the feminine gender for no reason. Yes, I'm talking about "There she blows!". The whalers have no difficulty in telling male or female whales apart, and it's explicitly stated that Moby Dick is male (he would be called Moby ***** otherwise), but they still shout "There she blows!" when they notice a spout.
    Does anyone know the origins of this pharse? Why not "There it blows!"?
    Any hole's a goal.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Countries are usually female, as well. Interestingly enough, Germany is a rare exception with the Fatherland (although Germania is a female). I wonder what ethos causes a masculine view of one's nation.
      I've been told it's to do with having a strong female leader at at some point. I'm not convinced, but I put it out there.

What is the German equivalent of Mother Earth or Gaia etc..
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Mother Russia BTW is also a fatherland ("otechestvo")

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
          Onodera, I think you may find this interesting :

The part about Guugu Yimithirr is rather special, and the Matses speakers problem with wifes are a bit funny.
          I probably shouldn't have put in the last paragraph That article is actually worth reading.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
            I've been told it's to do with having a strong female leader at at some point. I'm not convinced, but I put it out there.

What is the German equivalent of Mother Earth or Gaia etc..
            Probably something more than fifty letters long and utterly unpronouncable
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well considering that Gaia is Greek, I don't think the English-speaking world is unique in having that term for that idea. I'm sure the Germans refer to the concept as Gaia, as well.
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Here we go... here's about the German pagan earth goddesses...

In the 1st century BC, Tacitus recorded rites amongst the Germanic tribes focused on the goddess Nerthus, whom he calls Terra Mater, 'Mother Earth'. Prominent in these rites was the procession of the goddess in a wheeled vehicle through the countryside. Among the seven or eight tribes said to worship her, Tacitus lists the Anglii and the Longobardi.[18]
                Among the later Anglo-Saxons, a Christianized charm known as Æcerbot survives from records from the 10th century. The charm involves a procession through the fields while calling upon the Christian God for a good harvest, invokes 'eorþan modor' (Earth Mother) and 'folde, fira modor,' (Earth, mother of men).
                In Central Germany, legends regarding Frau Holle are recorded throughout the Middle Ages. She appears as a helpful goddess, in charge of spinning and household affairs.[19] She rides through the countryside during the Twelve-nights, sometimes asking local peasants for assistance repairing her wagon. Those who help are rewarded with woodchips or dung, which they soon discover turns to gold. Among her many names are Holda, Berchta, Perht, and Frekka, the last of which directly connects her to Odin's wife Frigg. Many German harvest customs surround both Odin (Wotan, Godan, Wold) and Frau Holle.[20] In several German legends, she is known as Frau Goden, and connected to the Wild Hunt. Goden is simply another name for Odin, again indicating that Frau Holle is most likely a remembrance of Odin's wife, Frigg. In Snorri Sturlusson's Prose Edda, a handbook on poetry written more than two centuries after the Christian conversion of Iceland, Earth and Frigg, however, are presented as independent entities.
                In skaldic poetry, the kenning "Odin's wife" is a common designation for the Earth. Bynames of the Earth in Icelandic poetry include Jörð, Fjörgyn, Hlóðyn and Hlín. Hlín is used as a byname of both Jörð and Frigg. Fjörgynn (a masculine form of Fjörgyn) is said to be Frigg's father, while the name Hlóðyn is most commonly linked to Frau Holle, as well as to a goddess, Hludana, whose name is found eteched in several votive inscriptions from the Roman era.[21]
                Connections have been proposed between the figure of Nerthus and various figures (particularly figures counted amongst the Vanir) recorded in 13th century Icelandic records of Norse mythology, including Frigg. Due to potential etymological connections, the Norse god Njörðr has been proposed as the consort of Nerthus.[22] In the Poetic Edda poem Lokasenna, Njörðr is said to have fathered his famous children by his own sister. This sister remains unnamed.

I'm pretty sure though Germans would call her Mutter Erde, though...
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

"Friday" BTW comes from the earth goddess Freya/Frigg/whatever (in case you didn't know...)

Comment

Originally posted by Aivo½so View Post
                    "Friday" BTW comes from the earth goddess Freya/Frigg/whatever (in case you didn't know...)

Yes and Sunday is Sun day, Monday is Moon day, Tuesday is Tiw's day, Wednesday is Woden's day, Thursday is Thor's day, and Saturday is Saturn's day.

Comment

Working...
                    X