Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another strange use of feminine gender in the English language.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another strange use of feminine gender in the English language.

Every student of English learns sooner or later that ships should be referred to as "she", even if her name is Dwight Eisenhower. Every language has some funny quirks, of course.
    But when reading Moby Dick I encountered another case of using the feminine gender for no reason. Yes, I'm talking about "There she blows!". The whalers have no difficulty in telling male or female whales apart, and it's explicitly stated that Moby Dick is male (he would be called Moby ***** otherwise), but they still shout "There she blows!" when they notice a spout.
    Does anyone know the origins of this pharse? Why not "There it blows!"?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

NO it's THAR she blows.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Historic homophobia and horny sailors resulted in anything in the water being called "she".
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

With the very obvous example that they used to sail aboard 'she'-ps.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Cars also, are sometimes allocated the feminine gender. Not much else though.

Does Russian have gender nouns?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
            Does Russian have gender nouns?
            Yes it does, but the gender of inanimate objects is usually determined by the declension pattern. This means a yacht is feminine (yakhta), but a ship (korabl) is masculine.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Countries are usually female, as well. Interestingly enough, Germany is a rare exception with the Fatherland (although Germania is a female). I wonder what ethos causes a masculine view of one's nation.
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                I wonder what ethos causes a masculine view of one's nation.
                Having no word for 'fluffy'.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                  Having no word for 'fluffy'.
                  The google says Flaumig. Such a hard term to describe something fluffy.
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It's funny... The Nazis arising in Germany should have surprised no one. That's the one country you would expect such a movement to develop in. Bunch of militant perfectionists with a tough-sounding language and a masculine identity. Oh and the whole capitalizing all nouns thing and the making of superwords by combining 4 different words together fits in there somehow, but I'm not sure how.

Comment

It gives them a sense of superiority because no one else can possibly speak their language
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                        It gives them a sense of superiority because no one else can possibly speak their language
                        Oh like....

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübert ragungsgesetz

EDIT:
                        There isn't supposed to be a space there. I guess the forum automatically figured the word was too long

Comment

Donaudämpfschillgesellschaftskapitan!
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The fluffy thing, btw, in case anyone didn't know, is from Blackadder IV

Comment

Onodera, I think you may find this interesting :

The part about Guugu Yimithirr is rather special, and the Matses speakers problem with wifes are a bit funny.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X