Somalia's Budget is equal to High School Musical 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somalia's Budget is equal to High School Musical 3

The actual article has a bunch of cool hyperlinks backing many of its claims.

Want evidence that the government in Somalia -- a country that tops the 2010 Failed States Index -- needs desperate help? Allow me to show you the money. Literally.

According to the Annual Financial Report released by the office of the Prime Minister today, Somalia's budget in the fiscal year 2009 was just over $11 million. (The budget of Minneapolis Minnesota, by contrast, is $1.4 billion.) The two largest sources of revenue collected were customs duties from the main Mogadishu port ($6.2 million) and exit fees from the airport ($351,920). Taxes couldn't be collected due to security. The government recieved $2.875 million in bilateral aid -- the largest total, $1.6 million coming from Libya (the United States gave just $25,000 -- about the equivalent of a very entry-level staffer's annual income.)

Bad. News. But where the situation really comes home is in the line items: While $9.8 million of the country's $11 million was spent on salaries and wages, they are hardly anything to write home about. The president's chief of staff earns $2,250 a year. The governor of the central bank earns $1,000. And $325,000 of the $501,000 that covers the Prime Minister and President's offices goes to travel. Wages in the military and other defense roles account for $6 million (The Economist recently estimated that it costs $1 million to keep one U.S. soldier in Afghanistan for a year.)

Of course, there are other ways that the government is getting help -- ways that won't show up on a budget like this: African Union peacekeepers, for example, and U.S. training programs for their soldiers in Uganda. But still, this is pretty incredible stuff. Even Liberia had a budget of $80 million to work with after its civil war. And it wasn't actively trying fight an insurgency.

Meanwhile, Islamist militant group al Shabab is, I'm gonna guess, far better resourced (alas, I can't confirm this one since rebel groups don't put out financial statements -- props to Somalia's PM.)

The result is literally deadly. Which raises a frustration that the Somali government undoubtedly has: the international community helped put together this experiment in government, but there's less buck behind making it work. Not that this is easy; corruption is rumored rampant among government staff. Then again, you would have to pay me a lot more than $1,000 to be the central banker of Somalia... Not saying it justifies corruption, but it's also no Madoff affair.

Ahem, for context -- Somalia's $11 million budget is ....

- 20 times smaller than the 2010 budget of Topeka, Kansas

- A mere 1/2 of Derek Jeter's 2010 salary

- 890 times smaller than Starbucks' 2009 annual revenue

- About equal to the budget of "High School Musical 3"

- About equal to the amount that the Scottsdale, Arizona school district had to cut from its budget this year.

- But good news -- you could start between two and three franchises of the Hard Rock Cafe with that amount!
    This is just depressing.
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Wow... there's so many people who make more than that as personal yearly income.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Like HC's dad.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
        Like HC's dad.
        Bah... Find me an actuary who is a millionaire!
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'd rather watch Somalia's budget than High School Musical 3 any day!
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Somaliland works quite well for African standards, it is a shame that no one wants to recongnize them.

Some libertarians use Somalia as an example of how great having almost no state is, in spite of that, it isn't one of the worst African ****holes like Burundi (sorry If I have offended some poster from Burundi)
            I need a foot massage

Comment

Sounds like Minneapolis also is some kind of 3'rd world ****hole - Århus is two third the size but has a budget of $4.8 bilion.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                I'd rather watch Somalia's budget than High School Musical 3 any day!
                Somalia shows us that you don't need tons of money to make a kick-ass action movie.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It helps.

Black Hawk Down
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Idunno about that; if Somalia had an even lower budget, there might be even more exciting action!

I wanted to like BHD but unfortunately, like many of my kind, I'm "face blind" and can't tell people apart without context. A bunch of clean-shaven white guys wearing identical helmets that hide their hair was simply impossible for me to follow. Is that the guy on the gun or the guy flying the chopper? Or is he some guy driving a tank two miles away? Ack, I can't tell! :freakout:
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                      Like HC's dad.
                      I wish. But you're within about an order of magnitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        Bah... Find me an actuary who is a millionaire!
                        Erm, a whole lot of them? In fact, I would be willing to bet that 90%+ of FSAs accumulate $1m over their lifetime; it's really not that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                          Erm, a whole lot of them? In fact, I would be willing to bet that 90%+ of FSAs accumulate $1m over their lifetime; it's really not that hard.
                          Well if you're talking over an entire lifetime than duh! Of course. Anyone can get a million dollars. $22K/year over a 45 year working career will get you a million.

I meant millionaire as in annual salary of a million dollars. An actuary who makes that much would be very rare and likely not be doing any actual actuarial work.

Comment

I meant millionaire as in annual salary of a million dollars.
                            That's not what "millionaire" means, moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                              That's not what "millionaire" means, moron.
                              I knew someone would get pedantic. Figured it would be you. Complete with an insult, no less. How KrazyHorse or Drake-like of you.

Nevermind the fact that we've been talking yearly income.

Comment

Working...
                              X