Anyone remember my old opera thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    I am amazed by how soprano-like it sounds. Is it possible that this Philippe Jaroussky has a hormonal (testosterone) deficiency? His face and build are both very boyish as well.

(googling, turns out that he's 32!)
    I don't believe that has anything to do with the countertenor voice.

David Daniels:

And I've seen some pretty youthful-looking basses.

The natural voice type is product of the larynx/vocal folds, which has little to do with testosterone AFAIK. There are a few countertenors who have "underdeveloped" larynxes, which results in a very different sound than most, who just sing in "head voice" or falsetto. Is that a result of low testosterone? I'd guess not.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
      Yeah, I figured your sexual insecurity wouldn't let you enjoy it, but thought I'd post it anyway. Too bad, it really is a beautiful performance of a great piece. *shrug*
      Sexual insecurity, nothing. Unless by that, you mean that my gonads were feeling unsafe...a perfectly natural reaction to the thought of extremely invasive and unwelcome surgery.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Boris:

So-called "natural" or "endocrinological castrati" are born with hormonal anomalies such as Kallmann's syndrome, or have undergone unusual physical or medical events during their early lives that reproduce the vocal effects of castration without being castrated. Javier Medina, Jimmy Scott, Jorge Cano, Justin Bieber, Paulo Abel do Nascimento and Radu Marian are examples of this type of high male voice.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          Boris:
          Justin Bieber?

Nice one.

Not sure where that's from, but as I said, the vast majority of countertenors have perfectly normal larynxes/vocal folds. There's no reason to assume "hormonal issues."
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Sexual insecurity, nothing. Unless by that, you mean that my gonads were feeling unsafe...a perfectly natural reaction to the thought of extremely invasive and unwelcome surgery.
            Considering his voice has nothing to do with surgery, I'm not sure how that's a "natural" reaction.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Yeah I know I found that weird but it's clear that hormonal deficiencies can contribute to a countertenor voice.

Take that Radu Marian guy who has a deficiency:

Skip to 5:20 in.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                Considering his voice has nothing to do with surgery, I'm not sure how that's a "natural" reaction.
                You think the sight of a former thalidomide baby doesn't conjure thoughts of accidents involving heavy agricultural equipment?
                1011 1100

Comment

You think the sight of a former thalidomide baby doesn't conjure thoughts of accidents involving heavy agricultural equipment?
                  I've never thought such a thing once when watching Thomas Quasthoff, no.

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

shut up, aspie

Go listen to that Radu Marian I posted.

Comment

• Make me, barely-closeted gay marine. If I want to hear a woman's voice, I'll listen to a woman.
                      1011 1100

Comment

• Anyway, I'm sorry for derailing your opera thread, Boris, and thank you for letting me know about countertenors. Even if they do weird me the **** out.
                        1011 1100

Comment

Anyway, I'm sorry for derailing your opera thread, Boris, and thank you for letting me know about countertenors. Even if they do weird me the **** out.
                          My first experience was seeing a live performance at the Met of Britten's A Midsummer Night's Dream, and it was actually David Daniels singing the role of Oberon. I would say I was disoriented by the voice/appearance juxtaposition for about 5 minutes, but then I got over it. I really listened, discovered that Daniels sang incredibly beautifully, and that was that.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I can't work under these conditions! Look how the youtube videos spill off the side of the forum column! Ghastly!
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• You can change the forum skin in the settings.

Zip (the Canadian Netflix) just sent me Don Giovanni.
                              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• What's the production/cast?
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X