answer a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• answer a question

premise 1: the timespan of an insurer that undercharges defaulting is long compared to the timespan of consumers switching providers
    premise 2: consumers are incapable (or unwilling) of estimating the default risk of their provider
    conclusion: the equilibrium state of the insurance market is one where insurers universally undercharge and regularly default

Are my premises incorrect?
    If not, is my conclusion actually true?
    If not, why?

My thoughts:
    1. Insurers can undercharge certain customers and overcharge other customers. The ones that overcharge risky customers lose the risky customers, increasing their profitability, and the ones that undercharge risky customers default.
    2. Customers don't switch easily or frequently and won't switch on a dime because the price is slightly lower, thus we don't get a price reduction spiral.
    3. Insurance companies actually have insurance themselves.
    4. Legislation?
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Note: I'm seeking answers from people who actually know them, i.e. probably not you

1. Insurers can undercharge certain customers and overcharge other customers. The ones that overcharge risky customers lose the risky customers, increasing their profitability, and the ones that undercharge risky customers default.

No insurer wants to undercharge anyone, by definition. Undercharge != charge less for one thing than another, undercharge = charge less than the expected claims + price of risk.

2. Customers don't switch easily or frequently and won't switch on a dime because the price is slightly lower, thus we don't get a price reduction spiral.

Evidence please.

Insurance companies actually have insurance themselves.

An insurance company could save money and lower its premiums by forgoing that insurance.

Also, turtles all the way down, though premise 2 is less plausible in the reinsurance market.

4. Legislation?

Yes, that is a possible answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post

Evidence please.
        ...do you have evidence for either of your premises?

As for evidence, I would say, why the hell does geico need so many ****ing commercials if it isn't true
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

According to my dad the answer is [essentially] a regulatory ceiling on default risk.

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          ...do you have evidence for either of your premises?
          Evidence for 1 is that I don't hear about insurance companies going bankrupt very often.

Evidence for 2 is that I personally have no idea what the default risk on e.g. my car insurance is.

Obviously, neither piece of evidence is especially strong, which is why I asked whether my premises were true.

Comment

yay! Brother debate!

Really, Kuci, is this what you do now? Post boring insurance topics?
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post

An insurance company could save money and lower its premiums by forgoing that insurance.
              I would like to point out (yay rememberings from Risk Management and Insurance classes!) that typically regulations limiting the issuance of policies to a ratio of insurer net worth force insurers to re-insure, as they can only issue additional policies if they re-insure. And since, obviously, economies of scale and a larger, more diversified portfolio are factors here, it's in the best interest of insurers to re-insure.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Also, don't forget what is done with the float... that's why you don't see bankrupt insurance companies even if the first part of your conclusion would be true. They're pulling in returns on their investments.

Comment

Are you ignoring false and fraudulent claims, or counting it as a part of risk?
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                    I doubt there are enough false and fraudulent claims to really affect insurance companies as a whole. Could be wrong though but I doubt it.

EDIT: Whoah there.

According to industry studies, the annual cost of insurance fraud is between $85 and $120 billion, and is growing at a rate of 10% per year.
                    still not sure if it even matters for Kuci's question.

I don't know the statistics but I estimate that most insurance company revenue comes from investments. Premiums may not even cover insurance claims but premiums + investments more than cover them. So no defaulting even in cases of undercharging customers
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; July 16, 2010, 15:50.

Comment

Fraud is massive in every sector. It's more a question of how much you find acceptable rather that the absolute value.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                        Was this directed at me? If so, yes, I'm not distinguishing that sort of thing.

Comment

This is actually the most boring thread ever. wd the pair of you :golfclapping:

Comment

pair of you? 4 people posted in this thread.

So, Kuci, any thoughts or are you just dismissing everything I said because I just have a pathetic Finance degree from a public university?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                              This is actually the most boring thread ever. wd the pair of you :golfclapping:
                              Glad it's not just me.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X