So why don't atheists proselytize?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why don't atheists proselytize?

I mean it's only Christians, Muslims, and their bizarro sects (Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, NoI, Black Israelites, etc.) that will try to bother you on the subway about their beliefs or stand on street corners preaching. Have never seen an atheist say, "Excuse me, I have some Richard Dawkins I'd like you to read."

Where are these insistent atheists I keep hearing about?

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

They´re usually lurking around schoolyards and address little school children with:
    "Have you ever heard about the theory of evolution?"

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

why would they? how many souls can you save by convincing people they do not have one to save?
      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

They are too busy fornicating.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

It's simple... they don't believe it's right to cram their own personal beliefs down other people's throats, like morons that belong to silly cults/religions.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
            It's simple... they don't believe it's right to cram their own personal beliefs down other people's throats, like morons that belong to silly cults/religions.
            Im not sure I agree with you Ming. Ive had plenty of drunken conversations with militant atheists who would put firebrand preachers to shame with the strength of their conviction. Ive been backed into a corner defending the right to freedom of choice in personal belief, and its atheists that have put me there.

I guess this is why we dont talk about politics, religion or money at the dinner table or bar etc
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Atheists have thousands of years of religious douchery to catch up on Snotty. Religious folks have a decent head start.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Proselytizing is more than standing on street corners and giving out gospel tracts (or non-gospel tracts if you wish). I have no problems calling Richard Dawkins a proselytizer.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
                  Im not sure I agree with you Ming. Ive had plenty of drunken conversations with militant atheists who would put firebrand preachers to shame with the strength of their conviction. Ive been backed into a corner defending the right to freedom of choice in personal belief, and its atheists that have put me there.

I guess this is why we dont talk about politics, religion or money at the dinner table or bar etc
                  Yeah, I've had the same experiences.

I don't really care what people believe in as long as it's not hurting anyone else.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                    Jesus still loves you.

...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I'd include things like homophobia, racism, intolerance, anti-science lies/misinformation, restriction of personal freedoms etc. under the "hurting anyone else" bracket though. Quite a wide area. There aren't many religions that don't fail in some of those failings.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                        Yeah, I've had the same experiences.

I don't really care what people believe in as long as it's not hurting anyone else.
                        Damn, I believe in hurting people.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I enjoy it, I just don't worship it.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                            I'd include things like homophobia, racism, intolerance, anti-science lies/misinformation, restriction of personal freedoms etc. under the "hurting anyone else" bracket though. Quite a wide area. There aren't many religions that don't fail in some of those failings.
                            I like to separate the ritual and dogma of religious institutions from the religious practice of reaching out to God. Religious institutions suffer pretty much equally from the same malady that afflicts any other group that is formed around an ideology - lazy thinkers falling in love with an idea that makes them feel good.
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Would be nice to separate them. Don't see how you can without every person basically making up their own religion.

Which is kind of what happens anyway I suppose.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X