Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here read anything from Julius Caesar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here read anything from Julius Caesar?

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam, qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur.

Blah

romanes eunt domus
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I came, I saw, I conquered... but you will blow me first.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          Ahh, the Mel Gibson version.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I HATED MEMORIZING THAT DAMN PASSAGE.
              Commentarii de Bello Gallico
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam, qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  Commentarii de Bello Gallico
                  TITUS PULLO AND LUCIUS VORENUS
                  Blah

Comment

THIRTEEN!!!!!

Caesar's wife must be above suspicion, but you will blow me first.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

@OP: Yes I've read Commentaries on the Gallic War and Civil Wars only in English sadly. Its still a goal of mine to get my Latin to a level where I will be able to read New Latin "translations" of it.
                      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

How do you southern slavs feel about the former roman latin past of your land? Do you (plural) think you killed the roman population? mixed with them peacefully? dominated them and imposed your language?
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                          @OP: Yes I've read Commentaries on the Gallic War and Civil Wars only in English sadly. Its still a goal of mine to get my Latin to a level where I will be able to read New Latin "translations" of it.
                          De Bello Gallico is often used as an introductory text for Latin because of it's relatively simple and straightforward language. You could just get a parallel translated version and get cracking.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
                            How do you southern slavs feel about the former roman latin past of your land? Do you (plural) think you killed the roman population? mixed with them peacefully? dominated them and imposed your language?
                            well in Croatia it was official language until 1848, the last country in the world except Vatican. It was used as a buffer between Croatian and the imposed German/Hungarian in the Habsburg Empire, we were than a part of, so in principle here it had 2 millenia straight of "official" usage.

Latin is still a language you learn in part of the grammar school (I guess it is still the case, it was for me 20 years ago) for a few years, but the practical importance is left only in science/historical, there is no "living" population who speaks latin as such anymore, the only pockets (and dying) are left of some old romance dialects in Istria I belive... but only the elderly are left speaking the local dialects.
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I learnt Latin voluntarily...luckily I still remember some of it
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X