Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will humans go extinct within 100 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will humans go extinct within 100 years?

Yet another grim prophecy.

Scientist cites booming population, climate change, famine

Analysis
    By Ian O'Neill

updated 1:12 p.m. CT, Thurs., June 24, 2010

Is the clock of doom ticking for mankind? Yes, says an eminent 95-year-old scientist from Australia. Professor Frank Fenner — the same scientist who brought the myxomatosis virus to rabbits to control their numbers in the 1950's — is acutely aware of the impact of overpopulation and shortage of resources.

In 1980, Fenner announced to the World Health Assembly that smallpox had been eradicated, an achievement that is widely regarded as the World Health Organization's finest hour.

Now, in an interview with The Australian, the well-respected microbiologist expressed his pessimism for our future. "We're going to become extinct," he
    said. "Whatever we do now is too late."

After all the hype surrounding the pseudoscience of 2012, I've become a bit numb to "yet another" warning of doomsday, but when a scientist of Fenner's caliber goes on the record to say mankind will die off, it's hard not to listen.

"Homo sapiens will become extinct, perhaps within 100 years," he said. "A lot of other animals will, too. It's an irreversible situation. I think it's too late. I try not to express that because people are trying to do something, but they keep putting it off."

Although efforts are under way to mitigate the worst effects of overpopulation and climate change, Fenner believes it is futile, that our fate is sealed.

The world's population is forecast to balloon to 7 billion next year, putting a terrible strain on food and water supplies. So much so that Fenner predicts "food wars" in the coming decades as nations fight to secure dwindling supplies. Global droughts continue to ravage farmland, intensifying widespread malnutrition and poverty.

Climate change is a big driving factor behind his warning and, in Fenner's opinion, we've passed the point of no return. Although we have the scientific ability to tackle global problems, it's the lack of political will to do anything before the planet turns into a dust bowl that's the problem.

Although these warnings aren't without merit, I see Fenner's belief that all of mankind may not exist in a century to be overly pessimistic. It's not that I doubt the world will be a very different place in 100 years, it's just that he hasn't considered the technological factors of what makes humans human.

Granted, we're not very good at looking after our planet, and we are in a dire predicament, but thinking we'll be extinct in less than a century is a little over the top. A "collapse of civilization" or "rapid population decline" might be a better forecast.

Extinction occurs when every single member of a species dies, so unless a succession of global catastrophes (pandemics, runaway global warming, nuclear wars, collapse of resources, throw in an asteroid impact) happened at the same time, a small number of our descendants should still be able to eke out an existence in sheltered pockets around the planet.

In a paper published in the journal Futures last year, researchers approached the question: "Human Extinction: How Could It Happen?"

"The human race is unlikely to become extinct without a combination of difficult, severe and catastrophic events," Tobin Lopes, of the University of Colorado at Denver, said in an interview with Discovery News. He added that his team "were very surprised about how difficult it was to come up with plausible scenarios in which the entire human race would become extinct."

Sure, we could be faced with a "perfect storm" of catastrophes leading to a mass extinction, but I think it will be more likely that we'll adapt quickly, using technology not necessarily to reverse the damage we have caused, but to support life in a hostile new world.

But this is as speculative as Fenner's gloomy forecast. I suspect the realities of living on a warming planet with a spiraling population and dwindling resources will remain unknown for some time yet. However, if our continuing abuse of resources continues at this rate unchecked, we can be anything but optimistic about our species' future.

Ian O'Neill, space producer for Discovery News, holds a Ph.D. in solar physics from the University of Wales.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Can people stop doomsdaying ever?
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      Can people stop doomsdaying ever?

That would be the end of us.

Oops.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

After all the hype surrounding the pseudoscience of 2012, I've become a bit numb to "yet another" warning of doomsday, but when a scientist of Fenner's caliber goes on the record to say mankind will die off, it's hard not to listen.
        In my case, this would be affecting my "children's children's children". That's eerie for me.
        If you don't recognize it, that's fine. If you do, isn't it?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Brian Wang of NextBigFuture to Frank Fenner: Shut. The. Fvck. Up.

If it was just a prediction of some doom strongly related to viruses, then I would give it some more weight. If Frank Fenner had a history of correctly and accurately predicting things, then I would give more weight to this new prediction. Frank Fenner has made almost no more effort to justify his prediction than the guys with the End is Near signs.

I also do not see any effort to make out detail models of how this will play out. What will be happening in 1 year? 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 50 years, 75 years?

If he has any expert knowledge then he should apply it and show his work.
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

A "Frank Fenner" Google search yields his involvement with viruses and eradicating smallpox, before giving way to this.
            A "Brian Wang" Google search is predominately Facebook information. A respected man, but not the definitive opinion, if there was one.
            Naturally I don't know. I just found it interesting.

Comment

Wang is a science blogger, covering a wide variety of fields. Not big on people pushing woo and making big claims with little or no backing evidence or research.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 29, 2010, 12:14.
                Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Ridiculous statement. Barring some unpredicatable cataclysm like massive asteroid strike, humans will still be around thousands of years from now.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 29, 2010, 12:14.
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Humans are way too adaptive to go extinct over such changes. this is rubbish.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Granted, we're not very good at looking after our planet, and we are in a dire predicament, but thinking we'll be extinct in less than a century is a little over the top. A "collapse of civilization" or "rapid population decline" might be a better forecast.

I go along with that.

On the other hand, extreme competition for resources could lead to large scale nuclear war, which the human race would be unlikely to survive. I think that was what Fenner had in mind, given his reference to food wars.

Comment

We could quite easily kill ourselves though. That's what I'm hoping for.
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Well if you kill yourself first, I'll kill myself after you...
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Transhumanism and genetics will solve everything! I already got a robot avatar to go with the new age
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X