Game-changer in Afghanistan??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
    Yep, success is just around the next corner.
    Rather, because he turned Iraq defeat into victory, Petraeus can fvck up with Afghanistan for a decade and still get what he wants from Washington. He's our top general (by influence and prominence, if not by rank). It represents Obama doubling down on Afghanistan.
    Last edited by DanS; June 24, 2010, 10:50.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Thanks for answering my question, DanS.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

You're welcome. But you should thank Wezil.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
          Rather, because he turned Iraq defeat into victory, Petraeus can fvck up with Afghanistan for a decade and still get what he wants from Washington. He's our top general (by influence and prominence, if not by rank). It represents Obama doubling down on Afghanistan.
          And in so doing removes a potential political rival, if Patraeus ever thought of dabbling.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I don't know why you think that. It puts Petraeus in a more public role. If Obama and Petraeus get into a fight, Petraeus has plenty of time to quit in protest and mount a 2012 presidential campaign.

Comment

Do you expect Patraeus to change the rules of engagement (the beef the soldiers had in the RS article)?
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                I don't know why you think that. It puts Petraeus in a more public role. If Obama and Petraeus get into a fight, Petraeus has plenty of time to quit in protest and mount a 2012 presidential campaign.
                I disagree. By the time Petraeus would figure out that Obama is not supportive of his approach it would likely be mid to late 2011. Not enough time in my opinion to create an organization and win either a Dem or Rep. nomination.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

i know too much
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Game-changer in Afghanistan??

People blow up.
                    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Working...
                    X