Game-changer in Afghanistan??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
    you've got to wonder about the timing of this announcement. there's been precious little progress in afghanstan recently, and then, suddenly, 'oh look we've found all these resources'.
    Get the tin foil hats out folks. It's time for another conspiracy discussion.
    Last edited by MrFun; June 14, 2010, 15:23.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Yeah, but I wonder how this in itself is good news in case the country still gets downhill further. Well, might something for future warlords to play with.
        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
          Get the tin foils hats out folks. It's time for another conspiracy discussion.
          It's a pity that Half Lotus is now in a CIA prison. Otherwise, he could tell us the truth.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
            It's a pity that Half Lotus is now in a CIA prison. Otherwise, he could tell us the truth.
            Blah

Comment

While this is good news, and could have an interesting effects, I doubt this will be a game changer. Logistics is horrendously difficult in Afghanistan and mining requires a lot of logistics.

Who knows, there might be some low-hanging fruit, though.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                you've got to wonder about the timing of this announcement. there's been precious little progress in afghanstan recently, and then, suddenly, 'oh look we've found all these resources'.

Update: Missed this Wall Street Journal story earlier. Money quote:

[T]he Mines Ministry has long been considered among Afghanistan's most corrupt government departments, and Western officials have repeatedly expressed reservations about the Afghan government awarding concessions for the country's major mineral deposits, fearful that corrupt officials would hand contracts to bidders who pay the biggest bribes -- not who are best suited to actually do the work.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Was this press release written by Garry Trudeau by any chance?

Comment

Nope, the Pentagon.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

If true, it's certainly a game-changer but for whom? Other war-torn countries, most notably the DRC also have vast amounts of minerals without reaping any of the benefits.

As DanS pointed out, logistics are paramount in such inhospitable lands. Without a stable political and military situation I'm afraid the minerals will remain underground for the years to come.
                      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        Just got this breathless alert from the NY Times...

If true, it would really shuffle the deck.
                        Hi environmental damage!
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Environmental damage in Afghanistan?

Afghanistan:

Environmental damage would probably be an improvement!
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Albert Speer is correct on this. Afghanistan has no environment worth protecting. It's an arid, mountainous hellhole.

On the other hand, gold is shiny and makes a fun jingly noise when you have lots of it.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

There are some cool looking places though like this lake...

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Alright! Awesome! I'm going to go fly to ****hole-Afghanistan for a ****ing lake.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X