Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treaty of Tripoli - Is the US A Christian Nation? Hmm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I should have made the "Jesus founded the Marine Corps" post I was considering earlier. It might have staved off some confusion. Probably not.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

The ability to walk on water would be an asset to a Marine.
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Just to clarify for N35t0r... The treaty of Tripoli was signed in 1796. We would go on to have two wars with the Barbary states (1801-1805 and 1815) after they kept capturing and enslaving American citizens and demanding ransom for them.

Fun Fact: 1 to 1.25 million Europeans were enslaved between 1530 and 1780 by the Barbary corsairs.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

thats about how many Arabs were grabbed by the Mongols

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            I don't see how this is any worse than Obama claiming his policies will reduce the deficit or that he hasn't raised taxes.
            The average tax rate is the lowest it has been since 1950; down to just 9.8% on average. That's not a lie or an exaggeration or anything but a cold hard fact. The deficit hasn't gone up because of any massive new spending and in fact has gone up for two reason. 1) That we're in a recession and have been since Nov 2007 and so tax revenue has been lower during a recessionary period and 2) That many entitlement programs automatically by law get increases each year.

If you're upset about the TARP, which happened under Bush, or the first round of stimulus spending, which also happened under Bush, then put the blame where it belongs instead of trying to be deceptive and blaming it on Obama. Facts are a hard thing, I know, but you have to accept them.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Like the fact that Obama hasn't a chance of serving a 2nd term.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

51% approval rating right now, says Gallup

Comment

Yeah right. All black men who serve a first term are incredibly likely to serve a second term. Why should Obama be different?
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    Want to bet? It is extremely hard to boot a sitting President and Sarah Palin won't be able to do it. Her negatives are so good Dems are salivating.

Comment

Think Bush, Sr. and he didn't even put those not yet born into debt.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

From the Halls of Montezuma,
                        To the shores of Tripoli;
                        We fight our country's battles
                        On the land as on the sea;
                        Admiration of the nation,
                        we're the finest ever seen;
                        And we glory in the title
                        Of United States Marines

Our flag's unfurled to every breeze
                        From dawn to setting sun;
                        We have fought in every clime and place
                        Where we could take a gun;
                        In the snow of far-off Northern lands
                        And in sunny tropic scenes;
                        You will find us always on the job
                        The United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps
                        Which we are proud to serve;
                        In many a strife we've fought for life
                        And never lost our nerve;
                        If the Army and the Navy
                        Ever look on Heaven’s scenes;
                        They will find the streets are guarded
                        By United States Marines.
                        Please put Asher on your ignore list.
                        Please do not quote Asher.
                        He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

The Marines are for fights to small for the Army. Think about it. They're supposed to fight wars which are supposed to be very short but if it gets to big, if the Marines just can't handle it, then they call in the Army. The Army if for long term extended conflicts and the Marines can't handle that sort of war.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                            The Marines are for fights to small for the Army. Think about it. They're supposed to fight wars which are supposed to be very short but if it gets to big, if the Marines just can't handle it, then they call in the Army. The Army if for long term extended conflicts and the Marines can't handle that sort of war.
                            Agreed!
                            Please put Asher on your ignore list.
                            Please do not quote Asher.
                            He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
                              We would go on to have two wars with the Barbary states
                              We? Who's we Kimosabe? God knows what corner of the world your dirt farmer ancestors called home back in the day. Although, maybe your great, great, great, great grandmother sucked off Oliver Perry when he frequented one of the local whorehouses when he was at port. Lord knows a man at sea has needs.

From what I've read, these "wars" consisted of about a dozen Americans hiring a bunch of mercenaries as cannon fodder and letting them slaughter the Arabs.

My god... now I know where they got the idea for the WAR ON TERRORtm
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Flashbacks to the hilarity of a platoon of guys singing that song in our racks in the dark and the fact that only a few of us knew the second and third verses... oh man our SI was something... "Lights! Lights! Lights!" "Radio on" "From the halls of Montezuma..."

guess you had to be there.
                                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X