Progressives are economic retards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressives are economic retards

Libertarians and hardcore conservatives, on the other hand, are the most enlightened about economic issues, according to a new study in Econ Journal Watch.

The line at the bottom reports for each ideological group the average number of incorrect answers. Adults self-identifying “very conservative” and “libertarian” perform the best, followed closely by “conservative.” Trailing far behind are “moderate,” then with another step down to “liberal,” and a final step to “progressive,” who, on average, get wrong 5.26 questions out of eight.

This may be the least surprising study ever performed.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

It is pretty hilarious. Upwards of 90% of progressives don't understand that minimum wage laws increase unemployment!?
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'm assuming the troll here is many of these are subjective statements with "correct/incorrect" interpretations by some apparently even-more-ignorant journal?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

many of these are subjective statements with "correct/incorrect" interpretations

Apparently you're more liberal than I thought.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

For example, the comment about exploiting third-world workers -- there's two schools of thought, neither one more correct than the other:
            1) You are providing employment to people who might otherwise not be employed
            2) You are creating inhumane sweatshops, potentially with child labour

It's absurd to assert that there's a correct or incorrect answer with a loaded word like "exploit". It's subjective.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Are you serious, Drake? Those were terribly subjective and controversial questions/statements. Exploit workers? Exploit meaning what?

Comment

And free trade can lead to unemployment. All it takes is a single person laid off from his American factory because they're building a cheaper one on Mexico to make that statement true.

Comment

Why would third-worlders voluntarily agree to work for "American companies overseas" if they were being exploited?

Those were terribly subjective and controversial questions/statements.

Those questions are a collection of the least controversial topics in economics.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ramseya View Post
                    Are you serious, Drake? Those were terribly subjective and controversial questions/statements.
                    As I said, I think that's the troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                      Why would third-worlders voluntarily agree to work for "American companies overseas" if they were being exploited?
                      Because they've no other choice, and they have no other choice because their economy is dominated by exporting cheap goods to America rather than building a sustainable local economy.

As I said, it's not cut & dry.

I would have to say that the people who wrote this survey get a big, fat "INCORRECT" rating themselves.

Comment

Because they've no other choice

Of course they have a choice. If working for the American company is worse than not working for the American company, then they would choose the latter.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Those were terribly subjective and controversial questions/statements.

Those questions are a collection of the least controversial topics in economics.
                          Economics itself is controversial. I'm convinced 99% of economists don't understand what they're talking about.

Economics is essentially a study of rules of thumb. It's an embarrassment to universities.

Comment

Because they've no other choice

Of course they have a choice. If working for the American company is worse than not working for the American company, then they would choose the latter.
                            The presence of American companies is not in a vacuum. Their presence and their dominance impacts the formation of the developing economy.

You're not thinking big enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              And free trade can lead to unemployment. All it takes is a single person laid off from his American factory because they're building a cheaper one on Mexico to make that statement true.
                              Yep.

I also don't see the logic in saying "minimum wage laws increase unemployment".
                              So if McDonald's has to pay minimum wage, they'll just close the franchises instead?
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X