answer a financial math question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• answer a financial math question

Given a non-dividend-paying stock and a risk-free rate of 0%, why is the price of an American and European option with the same strike price and expiration date the same?

It sort of makes sense to me that this is true, but I can't construct a convincing proof of it.

why would a stock have value if it doesn't pay dividends
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Beside the point.

Comment

Partial ownership/etc?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

why wouldn't it be?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Oh I figured it out.

from Pt = (K - St)*D(T-t) + Ct
            D(T-t) = 1 => Pt > K - St = return from exercising option => you will never exercise option => European and American options are identical
            Last edited by Kuciwalker; May 5, 2010, 16:15.

Comment

Cue Ben saying "I couldn't find the error, try factoring the integrand!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                Given a non-dividend-paying stock and a risk-free rate of 0%, why is the price of an American and European option with the same strike price and expiration date the same?

It sort of makes sense to me that this is true, but I can't construct a convincing proof of it.

I confess I did not quite understand your question. Are you talking about a hypothetical single stock denominated in both US dollars and Euros??
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  why would a stock have value if it doesn't pay dividends

I hope you are joking
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I have about a total of 2 stocks in portfolio that pay dividens (or rather have in the past couple of years) and I certainly hope they are worth something
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                      I hope you are joking
                      I wasn't joking. I don't know very much at all about financial math. It was an honest question. However I have since figured it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                        I confess I did not quite understand your question. Are you talking about a hypothetical single stock denominated in both US dollars and Euros??
                        American option = can be exercised any time before the expiration date
                        European option = can only be exercised on the expiration date

Comment

stock = stock option?
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                            American option = can be exercised any time before the expiration date
                            European option = can only be exercised on the expiration date
                            hmmm I had not seen that term before

As described, for almost any given stock in the real world, the American option would be one that investors should prefer and therefore value more highly (if for example we are talking a purchase option at some strike price above the market price on the day the option is issued. ) I would much prefer to have x days in which the exercise of my option may be worth something compared to a single opportunity on the expiration date

Comment

Obviously the price of an American option is at least the price of the European option. The point is that if the interest rate is 0 and there are no dividends, it turns out that you never exercise the American option before the expiration so they are the same.

No offense, but I'm pretty sure this math is beyond your training and you couldn't have actually helped me.

Comment

Working...
                              X