No announcement yet.

[serious] Charity thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try to convince me that raising a cow in Italy, shipping them to a Dutch slaughterhouse, producing saussages from their meat in Italy again and selling them in Denmark produces less emissions than a production chain where everything is done professionally in Denmark.

I really doubt even Europeans are retarded enough to design their production process in this way.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
      i.e. mandate first-world wages for third-world laborers
      Don't try to read stupidity into my post which isn't there.
      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

There's no trying needed in order to find the stupidity in that post.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You fail to actually address any point, as usual.
          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

It's 2:30am here and I really don't feel like wading through a sea of stupidity while I'm getting ready for bed. Hopefully KH or Kuci will explain your retardation to you tomorrow so I won't have to...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
              I really doubt even Europeans are retarded enough to design their production process in this way.
              You're right, I forgot to mention that the calfs are shipped to France to be fattened there before being sent to slaughterhouses in the Netherlands...
              Only recently we had a scandal about an infected cheese with the labels "Cheese from Hartberg", a town in my region, and "Good stuff from Austria", which killed two people who bought it in Germany. They then found out that the milk had been from the Netherlands, the first processing had happened in Germany and it had only been packaged in Austria. If you take into account that calfs destined as milk cows are an export hit in Italy, you get the idea.

Here a link, lamentably only in German. http://www.kleinezeitung.at/steierma...0C48B45040C.p3

Edit: forgot the second label.

Comment

ah drake, you're so precious, an arrogant man with nothing to be arrogant about. a real know nothing troll.

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                I'll bet I can go to my grocery store in NYC and buy produce from Chile than has a lower carbon footprint than your local produce trucked in from the English countryside.
                a bet, sweet, how much? i'll pm you the details of how you can send me the money.

firstly your assumptions are wrong. if i buy local, then my food comes from the welsh countryside. also greenhouse gas emissions, while important, is just one consideration among many when buying local. others would include the taste, quality and freshness of food, the ability to know how it has been produced and supporting local farmers and businesses. also where i live, it is far, far cheaper to buy locally produced food from local merchants than imported food from supermarkets. as i said in my previous post, if you are even remotely serious about buying local you will consider lots of issues. your problem is that you've read a couple of articles, think yourself an expert but, as your subsequent posts demonstrate, you don't actually know anything about it.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

where's my cheque?

to give an example i buy my veg and some of my fruit from a local food co-op. they buy seasonal, organically grown food from farmers in the gower and the swansea valley and supply it to members of the co-op. they also do free range eggs, cheeses, butter, honey and preserves. the things i can't get from the co-op, i will buy from the swansea market itself, where again, food is sourced locally. i buy my meat from local butchers, who source their meat locally (one or two from their own family farms). it all comes from very close by (20-30 miles at most), it's grown in environmentally friendly way, the animals are treated well (and because it is local it is actually possible to check these things myself if i have any concerns), it supports both the farmers in my area and the local greengrocers, butchers, bakers etc. on top of this, the quality, freshness and taste of the food is excellent and it even costs less.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Anyone seen Drake (and KH) so profoundly ignorant before? Little kids understand this stuff better.

a local food co-op

Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)

Thinking about signing up for a CSA but want to learn more about the idea before you commit? Read on.
                    Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

He's won the argument, you ****wit. You're just too stupid to realize it.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't think anyone is buying your routine anymore, KH. You and Drake just looked like idiots, to anyone with a highschool education.

Deny that all you want, but it's plain for everyone to see.

Comment

Anyone seen Drake (and KH) so profoundly ignorant before?
                          Oh he's on much less firmer footing when it comes to discussions of college football, BCS and need for a playoff system.

So in answer yes.

That being said most times he is schooling. I have no opinion on the locally grown ****e one way or the other as I could care less.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post
                            I don't think anyone is buying your routine anymore, KH. You and Drake just looked like idiots, to anyone with a highschool education.

Deny that all you want, but it's plain for everyone to see.
                            Sweetheart, you've already admitted that you're an economic ignoramus. Your judgment on this matter is absolutely worthless.

Drake's provided good evidence that "local" food is not necessarily more environmentally friendly. The meta-point is that the price system is designed SPECIFICALLY to aggregate information like this into a single number. If there are uncompensated externalities to certain activities then it's far easier to price those than it is to aggregate information on every single product in the market. Eating local is for retards who can't understand that modern production is mostly not dependent on a single factor input.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm not an economic ignoramus. I know more than most people.

If your strawman lasts more than 4 hours, consult someone.

Comment

You're an economic ignoramus as well as being stupid.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X