Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Econ/Book Club: A Monetary History of the United States (serious)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Econ/Book Club: A Monetary History of the United States (serious)

So, I decided to finally read it instead of just reading critiques. Has anybody else read it? Want to read it?

Please note that people with strong opinions on Friedman with no direct knowledge of the work in question aren't welcome in this thread. This is not a forum to air your grievances against the Chicago school of economics or markets in general. Kiddy, I'm looking at you.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

That sounds like a good read. I'll see if I can grab it.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Economics is a social (soft) science, not a real one. Wtf are you doing??
      Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

You're an idiot.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I am interested, but not sure I have the time. Hmmm

This means that I am much more likely to get it.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

900 pages? That's a commitment. I'm interested in learning about the Long Depression, though...
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'm about 200 pages in. The post-civil war bimonetary (gold/greenback) stuff is fascinating
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I just finished Finding Alpha by Falkenstein. Rather erratically written, but he's on to something there, I think.

Praise for Finding Alpha "Eric Falkenstein is more than one of the smartest and funniest people in finance. He's been a banker, a key model builder at a major rating agency, and a hedge fund trader. In this tour de force, he outlines the successes and failures of financial theory applications in the real world from the perspective of an aggressive early adopter of the best ideas in finance. To this day, I think Eric's private firm default model is one of the best papers ever published in applied finance, and this wonderful book falls into the same category." —Donald R. van Deventer, PhD, founder and Chief Executive Officer, Kamakura Corporation "People dismissed Columbus when he said the world was round. Thank goodness he persisted. Like Columbus, Falkenstein challenges standard thinking, only this time about risk and reward. As the meltdown of the capital markets has shown, the financial industry clearly missed something with regard to risk management. As an industry, we need to consider alternative theories on risk, and clearly Falkenstein is on to something here. Agree with him or not, Finding Alpha is worth a read." —Kevin M. Blakely, President and CEO,The Risk Management Association "Writing through the lens of an experienced practitioner, Falkenstein digests decades of research in capital markets, financial economics, and investment psychology that have shaped modern investment theory. This text is an excellent companion for portfolio managers, investment students, or anyone seeking to better understand the relationship between risk, returns, and financial reward." —Todd Houge, PhD, CFA, The University of Iowa How do we find alpha whenrisk does not correlate with return? Finding Alpha is a practical guide to achieving alpha when conventional measures of risk rarely correlate with higher returns. Author Eric Falkenstein-a PhD who has also been a risk manager and portfolio manager—tells the story of alpha from its beginnings to its current reversal, where risk is now evidenced by return as opposed to vice versa. Falkenstein begins by walking readers through the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM), as well as other well-documented theories about risk and return, and explores how these theories measure up to current empirical evidence being documented by researchers and academics. He also outlines a novel approach to the issues of how benchmark risk and investor overconfidence affects expected asset returns, how to understand the nature of alpha and risk, and how to use practical applications of alpha-seeking strategies that he developed as a successful hedge fund manager. Finding Alpha concludes by outlining some real-life applications of alpha in finance and explains how the search for alpha affects the day-to-day life of all financial professionals.
                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I'm currently reading the Fountainhead. No time for two monstrously huge philosophical books at the moment. However, it sounds interesting but I don't know if it would be above my level--how much prior knowledge of economics does the author expect?
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    You're an idiot.

I've more education than you, a higher IQ and greater experience. Spare me.

ps. I'm better looking.

Comment

You have none of those 3. DanSer: 4
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

1 and 2: PhD candidate (MSc from Europe) and 134 (psychiatrist administered).

3: I've lived in Europe and travelled the world, done research in Africa and South America, and was a paratrooper (airborne infantry) during wartime. I've been to the finest private schools and the lowly community colleges. I've spoke at environmental conferences in Europe and trained in Death Valley. I've slept with literally dozens of women and also been married twice, for ~7 years each time (the second time faithfully).

4: Shall we compare looks?

Comment

Give yourself a cookie, then shut up. Your statements are what demonstrate your intelligence, not your (to us) impossible-to-confirm academic history.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post
                            PhD candidate (MSc from Europe) and 134 (psychiatrist administered). I've travelled the world, done research in Africa and South America, and was a paratrooper (airborne infantry) during wartime. I've been to the finest private schools and the lowly community colleges. I've spoke at environmental conferences in Europe and train in Death Valley.
                            134 is a joke. 2 sigma *****. And I HOLD a PhD in a real field.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

134 is not a joke, and I'd still like resolution on #3 (and #4, cause you're a *****).

Comment

Working...
                              X