The Art of Sounding Intellegent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Art of Sounding Intellegent

Venture Hacks is one of my RSS feeds I actually read on a regular basis, and they have a lot of good stuff even if you aren't wondering how to start your own business. IMO, the type of skills and knowledge that can go into starting your own business are good to have regardless of your endeavours.

A paragraph from an article there I read today was interesting so I thought I would share: Link

This is an interesting thing that I learned a long time back, and I still can’t do it because I just used the word “uh” a moment ago. Get rid of the words “you know,” “like,” “uh,” and “so” from your vocabulary. They just make you sound less confident. They make you sound like you’re less of a good public speaker. The reason you do these things, the reason you go “uh” and “ah” is because your brain is buying time for you to figure out what to say next. It’s a very common thing. So, just learn to pause. It’s OK to pause. You don’t sound dumb because you pause; it adds more gravitas to the situation. But learn to eliminate these words from your vocabulary. This is probably the single best thing you can do to sound more intelligent and persuasive in your life, so this is beyond just presentation.
    I noticed recently that a lot of HS kids will say "like" and "so" and "you know" a lot, and that when they went away to college they would comeback and these words seemed to magically disappear from their vocab, "uh" seems to stick around. I don't subscribe the level of intellegence necessarily to the manner of speaking, but it is more-so the confidence of the speaker on the topic as well as the maturity of the speaker (they touch on this in the article). The college kids learn to respect themselves, their education, and the topics on which they chose to speak and thus learn to ditch the pause makers.

I've shedded the cus words, the pause makers, and the and/ors/buts however I still hold onto phrases that fall under euphinisms, colloquialisms, and other colorful phrases that I hope relay charm rather than stupidity. Still, the point of this post is that you don't need to be smart to sound smart (watch out for the fakers - i.e. Ashers), but if you are smart you will get a lot further by sounding smart.
    Monkey!!!

Learning to spell "intelligent" and "intelligence" properly also helps with appearances.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I sound intelligent because I sort of, um, knew this.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
        Learning to spell "intelligent" and "intelligence" properly also helps with appearances.
        pish posh
        Monkey!!!

Comment

What's a "euphinism"?

I find using words that exist makes me sound more intelligent
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I also disagree with the OP. President Obama says "uh" all the time when he's not using a teleprompter, but everyone still thinks he's a genius.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

So how is AAHZ doing?
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

They make you sound like you’re less of a good public speaker.
                With advice like this, ummm, not so much.

I prefer my gooder speaking ability than what this guy says.

Seriously the guy could have written something along the lines of "a less prepared speaker", "person ill-prepared for extemporaneous speech" or some other way to convey his thoughts. The passage above is more poorer as a result.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Irregardless, it remains goodly advice.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It could have been more gooderer.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

This thread is quite sad.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

DaShi, it is the bestest thread. Your post has been reported
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Damn it!
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

There was a guy on the bus who kept saying "You know what I mean". That has the be the worst form of verbal stalling.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

A couple guys in the office stutter egregiously.

I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I don't kn-kn-kn-ow.

Comment

Working...
                              X