Jogger gets killed by an airplane.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jogger gets killed by an airplane.

By RUSS BYNUM, Associated Press Writer Russ Bynum, Associated Press Writer – 32 mins ago
    HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. – A father of two in town on business was jogging on the beach and listening to his iPod when he was hit from behind and killed by a small plane making an emergency landing, officials said Tuesday.

Robert Gary Jones, 38, of Woodstock, Ga., died instantly Monday evening when he was hit by the single-engine plane, which had lost its propeller, said Beaufort County Coroner Ed Allen. The pilot's vision was blocked by oil on the windshield.

The coroner said Jones apparently did not see or hear the plane, which was "basically gliding."

His mother, Pauline Jones, said Tuesday that he was in Hilton Head for work but was supposed to fly home to suburban Atlanta on Wednesday for his daughter's third birthday.

Her son was often out of town for his job with pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline, where he had been a salesman since 1997.

"Any time he traveled, I would worry myself to death about him," said his mother, who lives outside Tampa, Fla., where he grew up. "I'd call and say, 'Where are you, where are you?'"

Federal Aviation Administration records show the experimental Lancair IV-P plane that hit Robert Jones was registered to Edward I. Smith of Chesapeake, Va.

Smith was on the beach with his plane Tuesday and confirmed he was the pilot. He said he did not want to talk about the crash and offered few details.

"I've got a lot of issues going on right now. I've got a plane that's all torn up. And I've got a young man that I killed," he said.

Authorities said there was also a passenger on board but did not identify him or her.

The plane started leaking oil at about 13,000 feet and tried originally to make it to Hilton Head Airport, said fire and rescue spokeswoman Joheida Fister.

The oil on the windshield blocked Smith's vision and he told authorities the propeller came off. When he tried to land on the beach near the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa, the plane hit Jones and came to rest a little farther down the beach, Fister said.

The plane was still on the beach Tuesday afternoon. Waves lapped against it and the tail was attached to an anchor with a rope so the tide wouldn't pull it out to sea. The waves had washed away any sign of it skidding across the sand.

Yellow crime scene tape stretched from the water to the dunes to keep people away. Tourists walked up to the tape, gawking and snapping pictures. Other than the missing propeller, the plane appeared undamaged.

The plane left Orlando, Fla., at 4:45 p.m. and was headed for Virginia, Fister said. The four-seater plane has a turbine engine, can be built from a kit and can fly up to 370 mph, according to the Lancair Web site. The IV-P model has a pressurized cabin.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board were investigating, Fister said.

An FAA spokeswoman referred inquiries to the NTSB.
    Jogger Killed by Airplane

Today's lesson: when crossing the street, look both ways for any airplane before crossing.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
    Jogger Killed by Airplane

Today's lesson: when crossing the street, look both ways for any airplane before crossing.

This story would make for a quality ripoff of Denis Leary's Jim Fixx joke's ripoff of Bill Hicks' Jim Fixx joke.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

Glad I could brighten your day, Darius.

Comment

Clearly, this man had escaped a prior near-death experience he wasn't meant to survive, and this was just Death coming to get his due.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

IPods are BAD for you, okay?

Comment

Highly amusing. Happy birthday to his daughter.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

RIP.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                IPods are BAD for you, okay?

Uh, actually, I see at as jogging is bad for you, okay?
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Actually, I see it as light aircraft without a propeller are bad for you.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

A C5 almost landed on me when I was crossing a fog covered active runway at Travis AFB. I saw the signal just as I went by it, heard the plane and looked left, and there it was.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        A C5 almost landed on me when I was crossing a fog covered active runway at Travis AFB. I saw the signal just as I went by it, heard the plane and looked left, and there it was.
                        ****!

Comment

I wish it had been a cell phone instead of an Ipod. Then maybe people wouldn't give me as much **** for not carrying one.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

GASP. You don't have a cell phone?

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
                              Uh, actually, I see at as jogging is bad for you, okay?
                              no

If he had been jogging without his ears plugged into his IPod, he would have noticed a plane approaching in time to save himself. Hence, my statement still stands - yours sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X