Killer Whale lives up to its name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer Whale lives up to its name

(CNN) -- A killer whale killed a trainer Wednesday afternoon at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium in Orlando, Florida, a public information officer for the Orange County Sheriff's Office said. The woman, 40, was in the whale holding area about 2 p.m. when "she apparently slipped or fell into the tank and was fatally injured by one of the whales," Jim Solomons said. "There's no sense of foul play; right now, this appears to be an accident."

"One of our most experienced animal trainers drowned" in the accident, said Dan Brown, vice president and general manager of SeaWorld Orlando. He said an investigation will be carried out. "We'll make our findings known in due course," he said. "We've never in the history of our parks experienced an incident like this. All standard operating procedures will be reviewed." He would not elaborate. "Please bear with us; we've just lost a member of our family," he said.

A patron who did not witness the event said the park refunded her entry fee, although a spokeswoman said the park remained open.

Victoria Biniak told CNN affiliate WKMG that she saw the deadly incident from a viewing area. "The trainer was explaining different things about the whale, and then the trainer that was down there walked away from the window. Then [the whale] took off really fast in the tank, and he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing [her] around," Biniak said. Guest David Dalton told CNN affiliate WFTV, "All of the sudden, out of nowhere, two of the bigger whales just kind of flipped out, going as fast as they could in the water." Biniak told WKMG that the whale, named Tillikum, or "Telly," does not typically have a trainer in its tank because it is too large.

SeaWorld uses "Shamu" as a stage name for any of the male or female orcas in its shows.

Tillikum is a nearly 30-year-old, 12,300-pound bull orca. CNN affiliate News 13 reported other incidents involving the animal.

In July 5, 1999, a man hid and then jumped into the tank with Tillikum after the park closed. He was found dead the next morning. "We do not consider this a safe animal for our own trainers to interact with in the water," Seaworld Vice President Vic Abbey said that year. "He has had a history before coming to SeaWorld Orlando."

On February 21, 1991, 20-year-old Keltie Byrene slipped and fell into the Tillikum whale pool in Canada. She was dragged across the pool and repeatedly submerged. Other trainers attempted to rescue her, but she drowned.
    A killer whale killed a trainer Wednesday afternoon at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium in Orlando, Florida, a public information officer for the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.

3 Kills is impressive. Is it possible for an animal to be a serial killer?
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

No.

But, it is possible for a killer whale to see three mammals in skin-tight, dark gray/black wet suits and think, "yum, seals."
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Where are the Japanese when you need them.
      Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

**** you, whale!
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

(reads article and shakes his head)

Killer "whales" are not whales - they are dolphins.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm pretty sure most people know that. Plus, killer dolphin doesn't have the same ring to it.

Comment

Killer Dolphins with frickin' lasers on their heads
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by flash9286 View Post
                I'm pretty sure most people know that. Plus, killer dolphin doesn't have the same ring to it.
                The person quoted in the article used the word "whale" and don't care how much more uber-cool it sounds than using the word "dolphin."

And I am also going to shoot the next person who classifies a chimpanzee as a monkey.

Comment

This is the only one that was truly the fault of the whale/big dolphin.
                  It may not have been an attack, just a terrible accident. You can call them a dolphin, but their mind isn't up to that of dolphins known as dolphins. I say that out my ass.
                  I'm sure you can research it and show where these whale dolphins are being trained as assistance animals for the blind.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Comment

This sets a very, very bad example. If you're a killer and want to get away with murdering people, just get yourself a killer whale outfit, and you have nothing to fear
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                        This sets a very, very bad example. If you're a killer and want to get away with murdering people, just get yourself a killer whale outfit, and you have nothing to fear
                        I think the lesson is make sure you kill SeaWorld patrons/staff. They are obviously expendable.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Hat trick!
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                            (reads article and shakes his head)

Killer "whales" are not whales - they are dolphins.
                            **** you, dorfin!
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Who would win in a fight between a little whale like a Killer Whale and a big monkey like a chimp or a gorilla?
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X