No announcement yet.

Apple's iPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You also implied his view of whether it was a worthwhile device was ill-informed, because he hasn't yet touched it. I haven't touched a lot of things

Comment

• BTW, I've decided that, despite the obvious joke fodder potential, Apple went with "iPad" in order to keep the "iP" meme going, as evidenced by the desire to once again leverage other people's Intellectual Property to create an ongoing residual revenue stream as part of the product design. First, music. Then, video. Now, books.

That's the real genius of Apple.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Who the hell considered the iPod an idiotic reach for a nonexistent market?

The future was in digital music players, it was patently clear then as it is now. I don't recall anyone doubting it, aside from the original version which was Mac + FireWire only, something Apple did rectify before it could be successful.

The iPad is a completely different beast. It is trying to create a new market, and it may succeed, but it is CERTAINLY no iPod or iPhone.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
          You also implied his view of whether it was a worthwhile device was ill-informed, because he hasn't yet touched it. I haven't touched a lot of things
          Good point. But I certainly didn't mention anyone by name. I doubt Asher is so insecure that he would take that as a personal dig. But your concern for him is touching.
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
            Who the hell considered the iPod an idiotic reach for a nonexistent market?

The future was in digital music players, it was patently clear then as it is now. I don't recall anyone doubting it, aside from the original version which was Mac + FireWire only, something Apple did rectify before it could be successful.

The iPad is a completely different beast. It is trying to create a new market, and it may succeed, but it is CERTAINLY no iPod or iPhone.
            Digital music players existed before the iPod.
            Smartphones existed before the iPhone.
            Netbooks existed before the iPad.

I don't see any inconsistency. It's classic Apple.

While I may have overstated with the "nonexistent market" line, it is absolutely true that the original iPod was initially perceived by some as a desperation move, and that it was far too high in price to ever go mainstream. Yes, the digital music market existed, but had not yet been monetized with any success. Until iTunes. That was a game changer.

Original cnet review:
            Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

Comment

• I don't understand what the pricepoint of the iPod has to do with anything. The iPad is pretty reasonably priced for what it is.

The problem is the utility of the device. The iPod and iPhone all had one. The iPad's is noticably far more niche.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Look, I respect your opinion and perspective in such matters. I think I'm record to that effect. And I don't have a dog in this race. Just made a couple of minor observations.

The iPad follows the classic Apple market leverage model as the previous two products did. They have a track record of success in these things, and I wouldn't bet against them.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                  I don't think you need to touch it to know what kind of output it supports.
                  Must . . . keep . . . mind out of the gutter.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• The iPad is not following in the footsteps. This really is the first of its kind. There are other tablet computers out there, but they're all COMPUTERS. The iPad is more of a device than a computer. That's a very important distinction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nostromo View Post
                      I could think of a couple of other things that needs to be improved. Refresh rate, for one.
                      Refresh rate is fine. It doesn't "need" to be improved. It's just as quick as turning a page on a physical book. Would it be nice to have it quicker, sure... but not necessary for enjoyment at all.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        They have a track record of success in these things, and I wouldn't bet against them.
                        You mean like the MacBook Air or Cube?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Not to mention the Apple TV and the Newton.

Comment

• I didn't say they were infallible.

Fun Fact: My wife owns and still uses a Cube as her main computer.

Comment

• I am sure they will sell plenty of iPads, and I'm sure the iPad will push other manufacturers of netbooks/tablets to enhance their product lines.

And I definitely think there's a market for browsing devices rather than computers. Plenty of people find computers too complex.

For those of us who are computer literate, like everyone in this thread, the iPad doesn't really offer us anything. But for those who aren't, it could well be just what they need. A bit like the Wii had great success as a games console for people who don't know anything about games, and don't really want to. I think this could have great success as a computer like device for people who don't like computers.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

• The problem is the computer illiterate crowd looks at the iPad and wonders 'WTF'? If they can't be bothered to use a computer at a desk, why would they suffer through a slow and unwieldy performance on the sofa awkwardly holding up an iPad?

The computer illiterate crowd, in 2010, are simply afraid of technology or not interested in technology. The iPad to them is probably the pinnacle of high-technology.

I'm not convinced this will sell to computer newbies, computer illiterates, or to general tech enthusiasts. What it will sell to are Apple fans and people with more money than sense who think it simply is a "cool device".

Comment

Working...
                                X