No announcement yet.

Britain: Nanny state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it ironic that this story appears in the Daily Mail considering it's probably their harpy like screeching on topics such as paedophilia that prompted the policy in the first place.

(if it's even a true story...)
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

You can't even tell the truth about Krauts anymore in Britain

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
        Is it ironic that this story appears in the Daily Mail considering it's probably their harpy like screeching on topics such as paedophilia that prompted the policy in the first place.

(if it's even a true story...)
        This is what I mean by "not just the government". Press generates hysteria, and government makes knee-jerk reaction to bring in more legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
          The country is run by cretins and cowards who have let irrational memes spiral out of control to the point that innocent people are treated like criminals, and lynch-mob mentality prevails over decency and common-sense.
          In my country a man, a tourist with a camera, was savagely beaten up by an ad-hoc
          mob after some woman on the beach yelled "paedophile" and pointed at him.

The hysteria has obviously reached such proportions that people on the fringes think
          that it is socially acceptable to beat someone up because of the slightest hint that he
          might be one of them child molesters.

The phenomenon has obviously spread internationally but I suspect it originated
          either in the US or UK.

I hope that this guy from Luxembourg wins his suit

Comment

But to be fair (and I feel like a canadian making three posts in a row after a few beers), it's not just the guvmint.

Basically, anyone who has ever smoked a joint, broken the speed limit, shagged a hooker, or got into a bar fight is potentially excluded from any public position from government minister to a classroom teacher by the squeaky-clean whiter-than-white expectations of press-intrusion and criminal-record checks under which we live. This leaves the field clear for jobsworth Mary-Poppins-like characters to take control and set up a ruling elite who revel in stifling social controls - lecturing and hectoring us over every aspect of our lives, from what we eat and drink, to what we put in the rubbish, to the type of light-bulbs we are allowed to light our homes with, and they won't be satisfied until there is a camera in every room monitoring every detail of our lives to ensure that we are not ****ing small children up the arse - because apparently, that is what we are capable of if we are not saved from each other and ourselves.

[/rant]

Hear hear. Personally I declared war on the EU when I learned that they're
            going to ban incandescent light bulbs and force us to use that power-saving
            sh1t.

I could do with more Mary Poppins-like politicians here though. We haven't
            yet reached the level of having holier than thou politicians as our problem.
            What we have here makes weed-smoking, bar-fighting, hooker-shagging
            guys look like boyscouts

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
              Now that's ridiculous. In Germany, you can't go to a playground without a child accompanying you, now you can't sit next to one on a plane in Britain? What's next, France forbidding adults to talk to children?
              How can they tell someone not to use a public park which their tax dollars help pay for?
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

In Europe many children's playgrounds are specially designed and sometimes
                fenced off smaller parts of a bigger public area.

Comment

I had always assumed the fence was to keep the children in, however it appears it is there to keep the pedophiles out
                  Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                    So what laws should the British government pass on this privately-owned company to dictate how they seat passengers?
                    I don't know much at all about the British airline industry. That said, one scenario where legislation might be appropriate would be if competition has been regulated away, in which case restoring that competition would allow customers to properly punish BA for such a stupid policy by flying with someone else. Aside from that or a similar scenario, I agree with the point I think you're making. Stupid policy, but allowing private companies to do stupid things isn't the mark of a nanny state.
                    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                      You can't even tell the truth about Krauts anymore in Britain
                      It's a known FACT that people yelling in German is funny.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

You almost sound like you approve of BA's ludicrous behaviour.

You almost sound like you want to spend several hours cooped up next to someone else's hyperactive offspring.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

You do have a point there, Laz.

In fact it's one of many reasons why I don't use aeroplanes. Ever.

Comment

Must be nice to live on a tiny little island.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                            X